April 23, 2024, 09:17:06 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Paracetamol. Mechanism of reaction. Please help its important  (Read 16823 times)

Offline mimi.janson

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Paracetamol. Mechanism of reaction. Please help its important
« on: December 16, 2012, 05:18:36 AM »
Hej people I really hope some of you will help me

I am trying to explain the synthesis of making paracetamol out of 4-aminophenol and acetic anhydride and the link down shows the reaction, but my problem is someone who knows a lot about this stuff told me i needed water on both sides to make the reaction right couse as it is in the link it is wrong.

http://www.esacademic.com/pictures/eswiki/83/Synthesis_of_paracetamol.png

so i right now understand the following:

1: it is a nucleophile substitution, but is is that can anyone explain to me?
2: i know that N has a lone pair and takes one of the 2 acetylgroups in acetic anhydride
3: what is it about polarity i need to know? and please explain why it is as it is because i dont get that part at all.
4:is it called a hydroxide group or hydroxyl group in this reaction when speaking about the functional groups of all 4 molekules?
5: what are the functional groups in all four molecules...this one i have found the names for them but i am nut sure about them, and i also need to explain what the traits of each functional group is so how do i find out?

is there anything you think i should know about this ? i have written 3 pages about the reaction, functional groups, mechanism of reaction, synthesis/how to make it...like what you have to put together. But do you guys think it will be detailed enougth or should i write more, just from your point of view?

and please any informaiton you give me will be usefull in this project so dont hold back and i hope youll help

thanks

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Paracetamol. Mechanism of reaction. Please help its important
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 08:40:07 AM »
Your questions are too broad.

Every organic chemistry textbook has several chapters on nucleophilic substitution. I suggest you do some background reading, then we can help you with more specific question on the subject.

The same applies to your other questions (functional groups and polarity). These are all extensively covered in most textbooks. You cannot reasonably expect us to reproduce three or four chapters worth of textbook on an internet forum.

do you guys think it will be detailed enougth or should i write more

We are chemists, not psychics.

Also, please read Forum Rules.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links