March 29, 2024, 03:55:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to turn copper blue  (Read 17058 times)

Offline genuk

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
How to turn copper blue
« on: December 20, 2012, 04:09:01 PM »
More specifically, I like the blue color of Copper Carbonate and Copper Benzoate.  I have some copper items (from bird seed store) and would like to make some of them that blue color.

I've read about how to make Copper Carbonate, I bought some Copper Sulphate...but it's beyond me to figure out how to get the blue subtances to grow/form/oxidize/(what is the correct term?) onto the copper objects!?!

Please help out of my confusion.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: How to turn copper blue
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 04:22:50 PM »
Copper carbonate is not blue, blue-green at best.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline genuk

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 05:06:23 PM »
Copper carbonate is not blue, blue-green at best.

My question is how to turn copper blue.  How does your answer help in any way?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 05:14:40 PM »
You said:

I like the blue color of Copper Carbonate

Copper carbonate is not blue, so it is not clear what you want.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline stewie griffin

• Mole Snacks: +61/-7
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 06:32:01 PM »
The blue color comes from Cu2+ ions, but not all Cu2+ will be blue. Copper carbonate is greenish and copper oxide is black for example.
Simply letting copper metal oxidize will not give a blue color. The green color of copper buildings is the result of copper oxidation/carbonate formation.
So it seems  to me that you want to coat various copper items in a blue copper salt? If that's the case then I also don't know how to do that. You could try scratching the surface of various items and letting them sit in a saturated solution of copper sulfate. As the water slowly evaporates over several days you may get some copper sulfate to crystallize where the scratches are (since they might serve as nucleation sites). Perhaps you could just grind the copper sulfate into small crystals and use a clear adhesive to attach them to your items. 

Offline genuk

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 06:54:49 PM »
The blue color comes from Cu2+ ions, but not all Cu2+ will be blue. Copper carbonate is greenish and copper oxide is black for example.
Simply letting copper metal oxidize will not give a blue color. The green color of copper buildings is the result of copper oxidation/carbonate formation.
So it seems  to me that you want to coat various copper items in a blue copper salt? If that's the case then I also don't know how to do that. You could try scratching the surface of various items and letting them sit in a saturated solution of copper sulfate. As the water slowly evaporates over several days you may get some copper sulfate to crystallize where the scratches are (since they might serve as nucleation sites). Perhaps you could just grind the copper sulfate into small crystals and use a clear adhesive to attach them to your items.

Yes, I think that coating copper items in a blue copper salt is what what I wanted to say but didn't know the right words.
However, copper sulfate will wash off of the copper with water.  Copper Carbonate (blue-green) does not wash off.  I don't know if Copper Benzoate will not wash off but it is a more blue (less green) color. 

I also read something about copper sulphate + aluminum sulphate disolved in water producing a blue colored precipitate of some sort of hydrous oxide.  But can these types of oxides be formed on copper metal objects?

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 12:25:13 AM »
How to turn copper blue

Blue paint? Take some of the crystals you like to a good paint store and they can blend a match for you.

Offline genuk

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 06:28:58 PM »
How to turn copper blue

Blue paint? Take some of the crystals you like to a good paint store and they can blend a match for you.

Really?!?

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 01:28:53 PM »
Is this the effect you are looking for?

patina

http://www.sciencecompany.com/-W160.aspx

Safety --- do this under a hood box

A patina process of bronze i have used requires heat from a torch and a solution brushed on
you have to watch out that you do not over heat or over apply solution
not all patina processes require the heat from a torch
after a clear sealant can be applied

« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 01:41:19 PM by billnotgatez »

Offline genuk

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 05:22:31 PM »
Is this the effect you are looking for?

patina

http://www.sciencecompany.com/-W160.aspx

Safety --- do this under a hood box

A patina process of bronze i have used requires heat from a torch and a solution brushed on
you have to watch out that you do not over heat or over apply solution
not all patina processes require the heat from a torch
after a clear sealant can be applied

Thanks for this link.  I think I'll try this if I can figure out where to get the ingredients.

14. Blue
Ingredients
Sulfurated Potash... 15 gm [MORE INFO]
Ammonium Chloride... 200 gm [MORE INFO]
Distilled Water 1 quart
Process
Brush onto surface.
Back to Index

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 07:44:06 AM »
GOOGLE and WIKIPEDIA can be your friends

Let us know how things turn out

Offline Tittywahah

• Mole Snacks: +4/-2
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 09:51:44 AM »
More specifically, I like the blue color of Copper Carbonate and Copper Benzoate.  I have some copper items (from bird seed store) and would like to make some of them that blue color.

I've read about how to make Copper Carbonate, I bought some Copper Sulphate...but it's beyond me to figure out how to get the blue subtances to grow/form/oxidize/(what is the correct term?) onto the copper objects!?!

Please help out of my confusion.
If you still want help I have spent months making all sorts of shades of blue on copper, blue art and butterflies, there are many ways to get these colours, mostly from very simple chemicals and some from a specific combination of heat and chemical.  If you want help just let me know.

Sponsored Links