March 28, 2024, 01:31:03 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to make Acetic Acid at home?  (Read 26005 times)

Offline Cupro Chlorous

• Mole Snacks: +0/-4
  • I'm a mole!
How to make Acetic Acid at home?
« on: January 15, 2006, 05:25:15 PM »
I'm trying to make acetic acid from decomposing fruit.  So far i have the fruit  in a tightly sealed bottle in a dark area. Should i do anything else to make it work faster?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 06:33:23 PM by Mitch »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re:Acetic Acid
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 05:37:49 PM »
Keep it warm and open to allow oxygen access.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re:How to make Acetic Acid at home?
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 08:47:42 PM »
Quick questions about this method.
What is yield of Acetic acid and its relative purity? High or Low
Do certain fruits work better than others?
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 10:06:45 AM »
This is a simple two step fermentation of fruit glucose or glucose from fruit sucrose to an alcohol, followed by oxidation  to acetic acid by aerobic bacteria. The yield will depend on glucose content and can be quite low. Vinegar contains usually 3-5 % of acetic acid
AWK

Offline Cupro Chlorous

• Mole Snacks: +0/-4
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 02:18:12 PM »
So should i leave the bottle sealed until it turns into alcohol, and then open it to turn into vinegar?

Also, i noticed alot of pressure build up in the bottle.  What gas is being produced?

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 02:57:54 PM »
CO2. You shouldn't close a pressurized system. It would be better if you attached a balloon to the top of the bottle, and seal it well that way.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 02:59:02 PM by Mitch »
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 04:15:17 PM »
In the past I have been associated with several attempts to make hard cider (fermented apple squeezings). In all cases we ended up with cider vinegar. I suppose some microbe got into the process and converted the apple sugars to acetic acid or the ethanol produce from fermentation to acetic acid. Of course we were disappointed and did not pursue what went wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinegars
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetic_acid

From the above sites I got the following.

-Quote-
Most vinegar today is made in submerged tank culture, first described in 1949 by Otto Hromatka and Heinrich Ebner. In this method, alcohol is fermented to vinegar in a continuously stirred tank, and oxygen is supplied by bubbling air through the solution. Using this method, vinegar of 15% acetic acid can be prepared in only 2–3 days.
-End Quote-

Based on above information, here is my suggestion to creating acetic acid at home even though I have not done it.

Liquefy the fruit as much as possible using a blender. We will assume that the skin of the fruit has the yeast and bacteria to form ethanol and acetic acid. You might want to consider getting a starter culture from a brewing supply business. Put the mash in a glass jar. You then bubble filtered air into the mash while having a device to continually stir it. It appears that this can be done a room temperature. I suppose you would want to cover the system with something to prevent dust etc. from getting in the mash. I would not seal it.

What do you think?

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 06:50:15 PM »
I always put a "bubbler" on my fermentation tank. This is too make beer though.. this is a way to "seal" it with basically what is a continuous pressure release valve (just a plastic S with water in it works) :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 09:18:10 PM by mike »
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 09:11:54 PM »
Maybe that's why when I tried to make just straight ethanol once I wound up with no alcohol. It was sour in taste reminding of vinegar but I never put two and two together.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 11:33:46 PM »
One other point I failed to make. The sugar is not necessarily the limiting factor in production. The ethanol and acetic acid tend to kill off yeast and bacteria at about 10 to 15 percent concentration. Therefore the fermentation may stop before all sugars are used up. The microbes die in their own excretions.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 11:35:47 PM by billnotgatez »

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 12:05:37 AM »
Yes good point. My fermentation usually yields beer of between 4-6% ethanol after about a week of fermentation at approx. 25C. (temperature can have an influence also).
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2006, 11:01:01 PM »
One wonders what would be the best at home method of extracting the acetic acid after the fermentation is complete. Distillation would probably have all sorts of stuff in it like ethanol.

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 05:25:18 AM »
Question, about the products:

When you have a carboxylic acid (like acetic acid) and alcohol (like ethanol) in the same warm, acidic medium...I'd have thought that some Fischer esterification would occur...you know, carboxylic acid + alcohol --> ester + H2O...are esters formed in this fermentation process?

If not, is it because there's a lot of water in organic foods...so the equilibrium is pushed far to the left, away from the esters?

Just wondering... :P
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 05:25:48 AM by lemonoman »

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 02:20:21 PM »
I believe you need a very low pH for that esterifcation to occur as well as a lack of water.  Hence why concentrated sulfuric acid is typically added to the mixture when an ester is the desired product.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Sponsored Links