March 28, 2024, 06:48:00 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Pure Copper Solution  (Read 10914 times)

WaxHaX0rS

Pure Copper Solution
« on: June 18, 2004, 10:40:24 PM »
Can anyone tell me how I can obtain a copper compound that I can dissolve in water to get pure copper ions (by pure I mean no other positive ions) in aqueous solution?  I want to try a little electroplating experiment.  I'm no expert, but I'm guessing that something like copper sulfate or copper nitrate would work?  I don't know, anyway, the catch is that I have very limited resources and I would probably be limited to buying things from the local hardware or grocery stores.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Pure Copper Solution
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2004, 12:02:14 PM »
You must be joking if you want a solution whereby the only cation is copper when your solvent is water. water exihibits autoprotolysis - something you cannot ignore. anyway, hydrogen ion is the least of your worries. copper ions will be discharged preferentially given it's relative instability to H+

I cant guarantee pure, but you can try the following:
1. Dissolve CuO in excess aq HCl
2. Titrate using diluted NaOH with a suitable indicator

Sodium ion in solution won't pose a problem for your electroplating, as discharging the ion requires overcoming a large energy barrier.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2004, 01:15:59 PM »
I know that hardware stores and gardening stores sell very pure copper sulfate crystals.  I can't recall what name it goes by in the stores, but you can't mistake the rich blue color of the crystals.  
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

WaxHaX0rS

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2004, 04:17:27 PM »
English please?  I think I used the word pure too lightly here.  I just mean something I can buy where I can easily get rid of other stuff or where there is very little other junk floating around that'll screw it up.  I don't pretend to be an expert or to know what you're talking about.  Can you enlighten me a bit?  BTW, thanks, I'll look jdurg.

Offline Scratch-

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +6/-4
  • llamas, eat my bazooka!
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2004, 10:19:37 AM »
Also some stores sell copper chloride as white pellets for absorbing moisture in the air.
Hydrochloric acid, guaranteed to make you lose weight!

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62

Sponsored Links