April 19, 2024, 09:39:20 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: NO2-, NO3-, ONOO- (or radical), H2O2, ... in water  (Read 3125 times)

Offline gregfridman

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
NO2-, NO3-, ONOO- (or radical), H2O2, ... in water
« on: January 08, 2013, 09:48:48 PM »
Greetings and salutations.  In my past life I was an organic chemist but it was >20 years ago and I forgot most of the analytical chemistry plus I'm sure there are many new methods.

I work with electric plasma discharges and treatment of liquids, mostly water (spring, tap, distilled, DI, and ultrapure).

I am looking for a good book to refresh my memory and something I can share with my students (Amazon links would be nice).

Specifically, I am looking for methods which involve the new spectrophotometer we're purchasing, this one: http://www.hitachi-hitec.com/global/science/uv_vis/u2900.html

We believe that the plasma treatment in atmospheric air introduces oxidizers, nitrogen compounds, and decreases pH.  I need to carefully measure water (and other liquids) properties immediately after treatment and over time.  I am also looking into aging effects.

Any help and advice would be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Greg

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: NO2-, NO3-, ONOO- (or radical), H2O2, ... in water
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 11:03:13 AM »
Interesting ... I'm going to have to first defer to your experience and what you've read from the protocols you're executing.  What sort of levels of oxidizers, and nitrogen compounds are you expecting to occur in the water samples?  There are certain levels we need to have before we can suggest a pH titration or a red-ox titration.  Also, what sort of volume of sample you have?  As for optical methods, that would probably require some sort of indicator, and maybe the vendor would have some insights for you.  It is in their best interests to provide you with as much support as possible, if they want your business.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline marquis

• Mole Snacks: +35/-3
Re: NO2-, NO3-, ONOO- (or radical), H2O2, ... in water
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 01:21:40 PM »
A reference you might use is "standard methods for the analysis of water and wastewater" that was put out by the american waste water association.  Not all of the methods are spectrometric (ion specific electrodes are also common, as well as other methods), but it should give you a start.

Regards

Sponsored Links