April 25, 2024, 02:35:13 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Sn1/Sn2  (Read 2746 times)

Offline CrazyAssasin

• Mole Snacks: +4/-0
Sn1/Sn2
« on: January 11, 2013, 12:36:43 PM »
Hi, I have a question about substitution reactions. I have a secondary alcohol in HBr acid. Does the alcohol condensate and form ether or does it lose OH and join Br? More accurately, does Sn1 or Sn2 mechanism dominate?

Offline orgo814

• Mole Snacks: +11/-6
Re: Sn1/Sn2
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 03:58:53 PM »
Usually primary condensates. I would say lose OH and join Br would be the major reaction here.

Offline BARAJAN

• Mole Snacks: +2/-18
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 01:16:43 AM »
for compounds which can form more stable carbocation SN1 is more favorable and the reverse is true for SN2

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 01:22:31 AM »
Just a point, the compounds do not know that they can form a stable carbocation >:D
Sn1 and Sn2 refer to the reaction kinetics and ultimately allow the suggestion of a mechanistic pathway.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline souro10

• Mole Snacks: +2/-21
  • Chemistry lover
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 09:36:49 AM »
Whether condensation will occur or not is one question , and SN1 or SN2 is another question. Temperature and molar ratios are important factors which have not been mentioned. Considering the probability of intramolecular dehydration to form ethers to be less for secondary ones, because both the substrate and the base would be hindered, substitution by bromine is more plausible after the OH group gets protonated. Here it can be in two  ways, first water molec leaves, producing a carbocation which is attacked by bromine, or a concerted mechanism. The concerted mechanism happens to be more fast, because, producing a secondary carbocation need much more energy.

Offline souro10

• Mole Snacks: +2/-21
  • Chemistry lover
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 10:55:34 AM »
Edit: intermolecular* dehydration in second line.
Further, intermolecular dehydration is disfavored by the fact that - both the concentration of bromide ion, and the strength of the bromide ion is more than that of the second molecule of alcohol.. plus they are hindered. Hence, SN2 substitution of C-OH2 into C-Br takes place.

Sponsored Links