March 29, 2024, 02:55:13 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Layer density tower question  (Read 2290 times)

Offline Csanchez635

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Layer density tower question
« on: January 12, 2013, 02:30:46 PM »
If your doing a density tower, does it really matter the order of density that you pour the liquids in? I mean wouldn't they just automatically rearrange themselves by the order of their densities?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Layer density tower question
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 03:02:24 PM »
If they are miscible with each other, then they could end up mixed.  Obviously, two adjacent layers won't be miscible, or the tower wouldn't work.  Consider this question:  what does like dissolves like really mean?  How do we describe the nature of miscible and immiscible liquids?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Csanchez635

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 03:47:42 PM »
well considering that all the liquids would be of different densities, so it would not matter what order you put them in the tube, the liquid with the highest density and the second and third and fourth would just automatically form itself in the right place right?

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 05:06:10 PM »
Arkcon has pointed you to the answer - typically, like dissolves like. This usually means that you need to alternate polar and non-polar liquids. If you simply poured them all together, all of the polar liquids would dissolve in each other, and all the non-polar ones would dissolve in each other, and you would only get two layers. So between two polar liquids of different densities, you need a non-polar liquid of an intermediate density.

Sponsored Links