March 29, 2024, 07:32:24 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: percentage yield help  (Read 2241 times)

Offline iwillarise

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
percentage yield help
« on: January 26, 2013, 05:21:26 PM »
Hi all,

I think I understand the process of calculating the % yield, but I never know what substances to include in the initial equation. Here was the experiment and I'm looking for the % yield of 4 - iodonitrobenzene, of which I collected 5. 25g.

4-nitroaniline (1.25g; 0.009 mol) was added to a mixture of concentrated sulfuric acid (1ml) and water (10 ml). The solution was warmed on a hot plate to dissolve the nitroaniline, and then immediately cooled to 0 -5 C by placing the beaker in an ice bath. The diazotisation process was carried out by adding a solution of sodium nitrite (0.7g) in water (2ml) in small portions with continuous stirring. The beaker remained in the ice bath in order to prevent the solution from rising above 10 C. The diazonium salt solution was then added to a mixture of sodium iodide (2.25g) in water (10 ml). The solution was mixed thoroughly and the solid collected by suction filtration.

Many thanks.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: percentage yield help
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 05:31:31 PM »
The most basic approach calls for writing all reaction equations and finding the limiting reagent.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links