April 18, 2024, 06:36:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Cyclic diyne  (Read 2513 times)

Offline Elnaz

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Cyclic diyne
« on: January 24, 2013, 03:36:08 PM »
Hi there,

I need to know what is the smallest cyclic diyne?

thanks

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: Cyclic diyne
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 12:59:13 AM »
This?

C1#CCCC#CCC1

Or

C1#CC#CCCCC1

Offline Elnaz

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 01:43:03 PM »
thanks curiosecat, could you write the source please?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 03:56:16 PM »
I don't believe there's likely to be a source dedicated to just this question.  I would have suggested you try ever smaller diyne and see if they exist.  Its not likely a cyclic diyne exits if the complementary cyclic diene doesn't exist, and there's ring strain even on smaller cyclic alkanes.  Unless you're looking for theoretical predictions based on bond lengths and hybridizations, but that's a pretty advanced topic.  I'm also guessing, since you need a source or citation, you'd not be satisfied with buying a molecular modeling kit and seeing how small of one you can make without the model popping apart.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 04:07:13 PM »
I don't believe there's likely to be a source dedicated to just this question.  I would have suggested you try ever smaller diyne and see if they exist.  Its not likely a cyclic diyne exits if the complementary cyclic diene doesn't exist, and there's ring strain even on smaller cyclic alkanes.  Unless you're looking for theoretical predictions based on bond lengths and hybridizations, but that's a pretty advanced topic.  I'm also guessing, since you need a source or citation, you'd not be satisfied with buying a molecular modeling kit and seeing how small of one you can make without the model popping apart.

One relatively cheap option might be to use something like Gaussian to calculate relative stabilities. Though not sure how you'd use that to say if or not they exist.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 05:39:47 PM »
AWK

Sponsored Links