April 17, 2024, 08:28:40 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question regarding copper(II)acetate monohydrate.  (Read 3085 times)

Offline brycebb

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Question regarding copper(II)acetate monohydrate.
« on: January 25, 2013, 02:12:06 PM »
Hey guys, I had a quick question regarding copper(II)acetate.  I wanted to grow copper acetate monohydrate crystals but I did not want to spend the money to order it from aldrich, it was quite expensive, so I went about making it myself.  I took copper(II)sulfate pentahydrate and created a solution, I do not recall the molarity of the solution as I do not have my lab notebook at this time, and I had it react with a slight excess of sodium bicarbonate to produce copper(II)carbonate, sodium sulfate, water, and carbon dioxide.  I filtered out the copper carbonate and collected it.  I put it into a beaker, and I added 500mL of distilled water and stirred vigorously and let it sit for 30 minutes and would decant the water.  I did this 6 times and did this to make sure the copper carbonate was relatively pure.  I then had a 0.87M solution of acetic acid, and I then used a slight excess of this acid to react with the copper carbonate to produce my desired copper acetate.  I gently heated the solution to drive off the acid and water, I used gentle heat to ensure my compound did not decompose.  My observations were quite strange.  As the solution was gently heated, a very light green precipitate started to form.  I wrote this down in my observations and allowed it to be heated.  As time progressed, more of this very light green precipitate formed, so I decided to filter the solution so I could observe this solid.  I put a very minuscule amount into a beaker and tested its solubility with water and ethanol, both of with copper acetate is soluble with, and I used 5mL of solvent in these tests.  The unknown light green precipitate did not dissolve or dissociate whatsoever, does anybody have an idea in what this could be? I did some research and I found basic copper(II)acetate is insoluble, but I cannot find any information of this compound, such as physical appearance or physical properties.  Can anybody give me some suggestions or help? 

Sponsored Links