April 23, 2024, 05:24:28 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: insitu formation of acid chlorides with cyanuric chloride  (Read 2940 times)

Offline quimorg

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
insitu formation of acid chlorides with cyanuric chloride
« on: February 12, 2013, 02:35:10 PM »
Hi chemist,

I have been trying to follow a paper ( http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ol800752v ) in which the carboxylic acid is mixed with cyanuric chloride and pyridine to form the acid chloride in situ followed by AlCl3  to do an acylation.

when I used the AlCl3 it bubbled a lot, but when used the AlCl3 in a similar reaction without the cyanuric chloride I see no bubbling. The only thing that I come to mind is that the cyanuric chloride might have hydrolyzed.

I have never used this chloride before, but I know about the dangers/toxicity about it( just in case) , so I would like to see if any one has used it before.

Offline opsomath

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +50/-8
Re: insitu formation of acid chlorides with cyanuric chloride
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 12:51:56 PM »
We used this reagent in surface chemistry to create acid chloride groups, but had poor results.

I doubt your reagent is hydrolyzed, but if you are worried about it try a test reaction (since you can't really TLC it) where you make an acid chloride then react it with something like diisopropylamine to make a product. Based on the yield of the reaction you should know if your CNU-chloride is good.

Offline quimorg

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: insitu formation of acid chlorides with cyanuric chloride
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 12:12:22 PM »
Thanks a lot for the feedback and. :)

The quality wasn't that good of the CNU-chloride.  :-\

Sponsored Links