March 28, 2024, 06:52:56 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Probable reaction products  (Read 4292 times)

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
Probable reaction products
« on: January 25, 2006, 02:53:36 AM »
A fair while ago, I tried a bit of an experiment, must have been a year or two ago, but the result still perplexes me somewhat as to what the probable reaction pathway might have been.

I passed a constant stream of hydrogen selenide, generated by heating a mixture of powdered elemental Se with parrafin wax, so there may have been some traces of hydrocarbon vapor in there, probably not much though, into heated anhydrous 2-propanol, with a small amount of conc. H2SO4, at the time I was hoping that H2Se was acidic enough to form an ester with the isopropanol, well, it didn't, or at least I don't think it did, as I would have expected a pretty horrendous stench if it had formed a selenol, or just perhaps, for the H2Se to behave as a reducing agent, reducing alcohol to alkane, which obviously didn't occur as the product remained polar.

What did happen though, was a deep blue color change to the IPA, at the time I didn't attempt any more tests on it, as the tubing which I was bubbling  the hydrogen selenide through the alcohol with melted through, spewing H2Se everywhere, leaving me busy with a blowtorch, burning it off as it formed.

What gets me, is what sort of reaction products might have formed, to give that blue color, I can't really start to make an educated guess going by the color, as I don't really know much about organoselenium derivatives at all.
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Sponsored Links