April 19, 2024, 04:24:05 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Silver Halides  (Read 2823 times)

Offline Big-Daddy

• Mole Snacks: +28/-94
Silver Halides
« on: February 26, 2013, 05:09:50 PM »
From what I can observe, it seems the Ag-X bonds in silver halides get stronger down the group. For example, Ag-Cl is the only bond which can be broken to produce Ag (s) by sunlight (which is why AgCl precipitate "darkens" in sunlight - you get some silver Ag (s) in it!). Ag-Cl is weak enough that NH3 molecules can break it up to form [Ag(NH3)2]+ instead. This takes much more NH3 for Ag-Br and does not really happen for Ag-I.

But isn't this the opposite to the expected trend? For instance H-I is the weakest bond, whereas H-F is the strongest; it gets weaker down the group, not stronger! Same for just X2. So why is it different for Ag-X?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Silver Halides
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 05:40:23 PM »
For example, Ag-Cl is the only bond which can be broken to produce Ag (s) by sunlight

AgBr and AgI are light sensitive as well. Google for enthalpies of formation for AgCl, AgBr and AgI.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Big-Daddy

• Mole Snacks: +28/-94
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 05:45:28 PM »
For example, Ag-Cl is the only bond which can be broken to produce Ag (s) by sunlight

AgBr and AgI are light sensitive as well. Google for enthalpies of formation for AgCl, AgBr and AgI.

Ah I see. So these two halide precipitates will also darken in sunlight? Indeed, more easily than AgCl? (as AgI has an enthalpy of formation half as exothermic as that of AgCl.)

Still does not explain the ammonia problem though ...

Offline UG

• Mole Snacks: +134/-15
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 05:50:05 PM »
One explanation I can see is a soft-soft Lewis acid-base type interaction where you have 'soft' acids like Ag+ preferring 'soft' bases like I- so it is harder to displace with NH3 (a hard base)

Sponsored Links