Chemical Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Sponsored links

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colligative properties name  (Read 948 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Mole Snacks: +5/-11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 227
Colligative properties name
« on: February 25, 2013, 02:53:23 AM »

Why are "colligative" properties called so? Is "colligative" a word taken from Greek or Latin, and what would it mean?


  • Chemist
  • Sr. Member
  • *
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2508
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Colligative properties name
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 09:52:45 AM »

According to wikipedia the latin root is colligatus, which means "bound together".  However, the ultimate root is the latin ligare, to bind, which is the same root of ligature, ligament, and ligand etc.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Mitch Andre Garcia's Chemical Forums 2003-Present.

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 23 queries.