April 23, 2024, 10:52:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: volume of 21.0g of Flourine gas be if measured at 720mm and 54 degrees Celsius?  (Read 4905 times)

RBrown

hello, i am in an advanced chemistry class in my high school with college level chemistry. can you help me with this question?

What will the volume of 21.0g of Flourine gas be if the gas is measured at 720mm and 54 degrees Celsius.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 05:33:38 AM by Mitch »

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:help with gas problem
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 09:32:35 PM »
help with gas problem

You could try less beans. :P
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Byrne

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 10:57:17 PM »
hello, i am in an advanced chemistry class in my high school with college level chemistry. can you help me with this question?

What will the volume of 21.0g of Flourine gas be if the gas is measured at 720mm and 54 degrees Celsius.

You have a mass (21.0 g), which can easily be converted to quantity (number of moles, n).  Remember that fluorine gas is diatomic.  You also have a pressure of 720 mm Hg.  I'm more accustomed to working in kPa, so I would convert that value to 101.3 kPa.  Your temperature value must be converted to absolute temperature (0 C = 273 K).  Finally, you have the universal gas constant, whose numerical value changes depending on what pressure units you're working in.  The equation that relates these parameters to volume is the Ideal Gas Law, PV = nRT.  So just sub in your known values and solve for V.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 04:03:10 AM »
You also have a pressure of 720 mm Hg.  I'm more accustomed to working in kPa, so I would convert that value to 101.3 kPa.

95.99 kPa

Check EBAS and built in ideal gas calculator.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links