April 25, 2024, 09:00:58 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Reading IR Spectrum  (Read 2158 times)

Offline srya2000

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Reading IR Spectrum
« on: March 04, 2013, 05:36:37 PM »
Hello i did a lab where i made up Cu(NH3)SO4 H2O and obtained a IR spectrum

Sorry about the bad images. I know that SO4 (v3) is around 1104/cm and NH3 (δd) is around 1628/cm but i have no idea what that big dip in at 3201/cm is. I have to figure out if this is a Sulfato ligand binding as unidentate complex, bidenate complex, or bridged bidentate complex. I have watch a bunch of youtube videos and lab reports and cant understand how to properly read this. I read my text book as well but still dont get it. I was also a bit confused because i thought the NH3 would be double bonded to the SO4 since its in the double bond range but thats not an option. Please help me out if you can and directed me somewhere else if you cant. Thanks.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Reading IR Spectrum
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 09:41:23 AM »
Resolution is bad, but usually any broad peak in that region of the spectrum can be assumed to be water or something with a hydrogen-bonded OH group.  Given your sample has water in it, this seems to be almost certainly what it is.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links