March 28, 2024, 08:07:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Problem Solving Chemistry Excercise  (Read 1660 times)

Offline julyinthemorning

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Problem Solving Chemistry Excercise
« on: March 07, 2013, 10:31:00 AM »
Please,
I am sorry I am might not writing in the correct directory, but I really need help ot the task.

The problem is :
React 4-(methylthio) benzyl alcohol (0.10 mol, MW 154.23 g/mol) with benzenesulfonyl chloride (0.115 mol, MW 176.62 g/mol) in toluene (500 g) and tripropylamine (21.2 g, MW 143.27 g/mol) to give the sulfonate ester isolated in 75% yield (22.08 g).

Calculate atom economy, carbon efficiency, reaction mass efficiency, mass intensity and mass productivity for the above process.

Please, If you have the skills to solve it, give me your advice! I will really appreciate!

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Problem Solving Chemistry Excercise
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 01:37:27 PM »
You must show you have attempted the question, this is a Forum Rule.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline julyinthemorning

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Problem Solving Chemistry Excercise
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 08:01:41 AM »
I was not common with the forum rules, I see now, it is fair like that!

So, the organic chemistry is one of the fields I have never worked enough in, so I am not really good at it. But for that case I know that first I have to react the two components - their structural formulas are -
CH3SC6H4CH2OH (4-(methylthio) benzyl alcohol)  and  C6H5COCl (benzenesulfonyl chloride).

Than I know the steps for finding the
atom economy = m.w. of G × 100 Σ (m.w. A,B,D,F)
carbon efficiency (%) = amount of carbon in product × 100 / total carbon present in reactants
reaction mass efficiency = molecular weight of product C × yield m.w. A + (m.w. B × molar ratio B/A)
mass intensity - I am not sure how it has to be done
mass productivity - this also

So I know the steps but I dont know if the product I am having is not correct, also I am not sure how I have to use the toluene, the tripropylamine and how to isolate the ester.

I will be really happy if you can tell  me not the answer but the way you are getting it, because I want and need to know it.

Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links