April 25, 2024, 06:17:22 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Luche reduction: SM not soluble in MeOH  (Read 3838 times)

Offline Doc Oc

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +48/-12
Luche reduction: SM not soluble in MeOH
« on: April 10, 2013, 09:39:18 AM »
Anyone ever done a Luche reduction with a substrate that isn't soluble in methanol?  I've tried various conditions (THF/MeOH, MeCN/MeOH, THF/MeOH/H2O, etc) and none seem to work.  I used sodium triacetoxyborohydride in THF and got a tiny bit of product after an hour, but stirring longer than that led to disappearance of it.

I can't resort to stronger hydride sources because there are esters I need to preserve.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
Re: Luche reduction: SM not soluble in MeOH
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 11:39:16 AM »
I don't have any personal experience, but I found what looked like an interesting reference:
 This method improves the standard Luche reduction by replacing expensive lanthanide salts with inexpensive, readily available calcium salts. (Green Chem. 2012, 14, 2129–2132; José C. Barros)
http://portal.acs.org/portal/acs/corg/content?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=PP_ARTICLEMAIN&node_id=840&content_id=CNBP_030604&use_sec=true&sec_url_var=region1&__uuid=c66eed0f-c08b-45dd-b3f8-0c0321c0484a

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 01:23:47 PM »
none seem to work.

In the sense of no conversion or in the sense of side reactions?

I have never done a Luche, but I've done sodium borohydride reductions on substrate insoluble in MeOH and found MeOH/t-BuOH and MeOH/DCM mixtures worked fine. Not sure that helps you but I thought I'd mention it anyway.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Doc Oc

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 02:32:47 PM »
Thanks for the reference Babcock_Hall, I'm definitely gonna give that paper a look.

Dan, there's little to no conversion, even after 24 h of stirring.  Luche reductions (at least the ones I've done) are usually done in 30-60 min.  I haven't tried DCM or t-BuOH yet, I'll give it a shot.  These binary solvent combos are easy to try, so I don't mind.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 03:02:46 AM »
Maybe the low conversion is due to the hydride source rather than the solvent. You could also try NaBH4 at low temp. You should get chemoselectivity over the esters - have you tried it already?.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Doc Oc

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 04:34:36 PM »
I did try straight NaBH4 in methanol, but I didn't cool the reaction.  Maybe I'll give that a shot.

Sponsored Links