April 25, 2024, 10:37:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: NMR solvent choices  (Read 3323 times)

Offline asdfTT123

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
NMR solvent choices
« on: May 06, 2013, 11:56:58 PM »
When running NMR (proton), does it matter what type of solvent is used as long as the compound is sufficiently soluble in the solvent?

For example, one of the compounds I would like to analyze was analyzed with methanol-d4 in literature but I find this solvent to be very expensive and hard to find.  I do however see that the compound is soluble with chloroform-d, which we already have in our lab.

Is there any difference I can expect from the spectra between these two solvents?  Is there any other rule of thumb I need to determine solvents other than solubility?

Many thanks.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: NMR solvent choices
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 03:02:22 AM »
The basic property you need is solubility. Due to the price of methanol-d4 relative to CDCl3, there is probably a good reason for using it (but not necessarily).

Using protic solvent, such as methanol-d4, that undergoes H/D exchange with NH, OH, etc. can helpfully simplify the proton spectrum relative to an aprotic solvent like CDCl3. Peak broadening from rotameric forms of Boc carbamates can also be significantly reduced in protic (or wet) solvents.

Chemical shifts are affected by solvent. Sometimes a spectrum run in e.g. CDCl3 might have several overlapping peaks that make assignment difficult. It may be the case that the overlap is much less in a different solvent. If you run yours in CDCl3 you will see a similar pattern of signals as reported in methanol-d4 (plus exchangeable OH/NH), but the shifts will be not be exactly the same.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links