March 28, 2024, 09:45:33 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How Does Hydrogen Bombs work?  (Read 29542 times)

Offline hrishikesh

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: How Does Hydrogen Bombs work?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2006, 09:48:01 PM »
u guys are wrong its a fusion reaction not a fission reaction dangit.
It occurs by fusion of 1H1 to form 4He2. and tremendous energy release dosnt it?
i dont know how bomb works but heres a hint
FUSION REQUIRES VERY HIGH TEMPERATURE
 :) hope that helps :P

Offline Grejak

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +5/-0
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2006, 11:34:06 PM »
u guys are wrong its a fusion reaction not a fission reaction dangit.

I assume you missed this from geodome...:
a hydrogen bomb is a fusion bomb.

It occurs by fusion of 1H1 to form 4He2. and tremendous energy release dosnt it?

Not quite.  Hydrogen bombs tend to use the D+T reaction.  2H + 3H -> 4He + n.  I assume that there is some D+D and T+T as well.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2006, 12:27:59 AM »
It occurs by fusion of 1H1 to form 4He2.

That would be a nobel prize if true. Where would the neutrons come from in the above reaction?
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline hrishikesh

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2006, 09:50:49 AM »

That would be a nobel prize if true. Where would the neutrons come from in the above reaction?

wow never knew that but we learnt it forms by fusion of 4 H atoms here in india
PS : yes you are true thanx for telling

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2006, 10:34:08 AM »
The original source of neutrons is from the fission of U-235
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2006, 11:40:12 AM »
Yes - the fussion bomb (the early ones anyway) need a fission bomb to set them off  -   I always fopund that rather scary!

When they (scientists) figure out how to sustain a fusion reaction and control it, I will be very, very excited. We will have arrived into an age that could theoretically mean lots and lots of cheap electricity that is produced cleanly. Then the hydrogen economy just may be one more step closer to a the real world. :)

I hope I get to see this in my life time...

Yes - this is something I have always wanted to see  -  I can get quite emotional about thinking about it.   I aways feel we could have worked a bit harder in getting there really  -  The JET torus in the UK back in the 90's was the first reactor (fussion)   to 'break even'  (for a matter of seconds).   Strangley, at a B&B one day I met someone who worked there  -  we talked about the JET and he'd told me that they actually had it going for over a minute!!!!!!   but this kind of info doesn't get put in the newspapers  -  too many important stories, such as, which princess is wearing new shoes and stuff like that to publish.  Heck -  it didn't even make the paper when they first managed break even!!   I would have thought that would have been front page news!  -  sorry  -  starting to rant.

Anyone know how we are doing nowadays wrt fusion reactors?  Last I heard their was going to be another torus build as part of an international collaboration, but haven't heard anything  -  I'll have to look it up on google or something to get more info.
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline Will

• Organic Dude
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-2
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2006, 03:18:41 PM »
Anyone know how we are doing nowadays wrt fusion reactors?  Last I heard their was going to be another torus build as part of an international collaboration, but haven't heard anything  -  I'll have to look it up on google or something to get more info.

I followed the news stories on the BBC about where the experimental ITER was going to be built. The estimated cost of it is $12100000000! :o
This BBC article is quite a good intro to ITER.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2006, 03:36:29 PM »
Hmmm $12.1 billion USD. That's not bad considering it's an international project. Boston's "Big Dig" highway project wound up costing $14.6 billion. That was spread out among federal and state money. This $12.1 billion is spread out among different nations.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2006, 04:45:24 AM »
Hmm - yea - compared to the hundereds of billions that get spent on war, it really make me mad that it hasn't been built yet!
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Sponsored Links