April 25, 2024, 10:31:04 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to quantify enzymes such as protease, amylase and lipase?  (Read 4163 times)

Offline cidmodule

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I have seen lots of procedures online and conducted by scientists over the world using a spectrometer and Enzyme Assays, but most of them are not actually understandable or capable to be done by myself now. Are there any simpler solutions or methods, that can be understood by people who are about 16 in age? Even if there are not simpler methods, can anybody actually write it down with clear steps?
Many of which I have found skipped steps or are missing some info in between or simply could not be fathomed. Any help will be much appreciated!

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: How to quantify enzymes such as protease, amylase and lipase?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 06:16:57 AM »
I have seen lots of procedures online and conducted by scientists over the world using a spectrometer and Enzyme Assays,

Good start to solving the problem.

but most of them are not actually understandable

That's disappointing.  Ask us what you don't understand, and we'll try to help.

or capable to be done by myself now.

Well, I've learned to accept the fact that I'll never build a car, or airplane, by reading online.  And you have no idea how far behind my plans for that lunar base are. 

Are there any simpler solutions or methods, that can be understood by people who are about 16 in age?

Simpler than ...?

Even if there are not simpler methods, can anybody actually write it down with clear steps?
Many of which I have found skipped steps or are missing some info in between or simply could not be fathomed. Any help will be much appreciated!

OK.  Start with this question here, with my response, in some ways, it applies to your question here as well.  Ask yourself -- what do you need to know, and why?  Tell us that, and tell us what you can do.  And we'll see where we can go. http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=91415.msg326732#msg326732
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline cidmodule

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 11:55:48 AM »
Firstly, thanks a lot for actually responding and allowing me to clarify myself. I did not go too much into details at the start, but basically this is what I am doing.

As an experiment/project, I (and my group) plan to test the cleaning effectiveness of something called Garbage Enzymes. Not sure if you have heard of it or familiar with it. The following link should give you a good idea:

http://www.ecowalkthetalk.com/blog/2011/02/27/how-to-make-and-use-garbage-enzymes/

So we found out that enzymes that are aid in cleaning are amylase, lipase and protease, and wanted to see if G.E will have any enzymes in it. This was due to conflicting information found online whther if G.E had any enzymes, with some saying yes and others saying no :

https://biology.stackexchange.com/questions/21241/does-garbage-enzyme-cleaner-contain-cleaning-enzymes

(one such example)

There also was not much scientific research done on this, and from the literature reviews found, it turns out that for one they actually found the presence of such enzymes. So we wanted to see will different types of peel affect the cleaning effectiveness and the such, and how the fermentation period will affect it...

However, for our experiment we judge the cleaning effectiveness based on the concentration of the following enzymes in the solution, and also how much protein/sugar/oil is broken down in the process. So far we could not find a proper procedure as the available enzyme assay kits are too expensive and the school would not allow us to use them, and for the many other methods I saw online it seems to be pretty far out of reach.  For example, the protease test below:

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/life-science/learning-center/life-science-video/universal-protease.html
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2872977/

Regarding what I am not able to do, it is basically 80 percent of the procedures mentioned, and I do not have a professor to consult with or anyone to assist me in that sadly...
(May I also know around what level of knowledge will be required to carry out the above stated test?)

What I want to know is are there any other simpler ways to carry out the experiment, even if it is not accurate enough? There are also many tests out there that can test for the concentration of amylase, but I do not know which to use.

If I am too vague for certain areas, do let me know so I can clarify it. Thanks a lot for your *delete me*

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 12:01:12 PM »
OK.  I understand a bit better.  So, you have a d-i-y recipe, and you want to study it.  You've also simplified the question:  Does the d-i-y protocol for making Garbage Enzymes contain protease?  And Sigma-Aldrich has a good protocol for protease assay.

Problem is, you lack the lab space, technical knowledge, and source of reagents for such an assay.

You don't have to use the Sigma-Aldrich assay, there are others, likely simpler.  That protocol provides much information of making a standard curve, and calculating enzyme activity.  You can't really do without that, if you want a useful answer.  So you will have to keep checking textbooks, for more explanations, until it becomes clearer.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline cidmodule

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 05:31:21 AM »
Ah... Was sort of trying out my luck to find simpler methods. I will try my best to carry out the Sigmaa Aldrich one, though currently I am quite puzzled on how to do the steps.

Do you have any expertise on that procedure? So if there is anything I am not sure about, can I ask you?

Thanks a lot for your responses, and the help you rendered!

Sponsored Links