March 29, 2024, 04:43:51 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: PH  (Read 1702 times)

Offline orgo814

• Mole Snacks: +11/-6
PH
« on: October 30, 2013, 11:39:06 AM »
This is from a biochemical calculations book but I find it more general chemistry in topic so I'm posting it here

1) what is the pH of a solution containing 0.2 g/L Na2CO3 and 0.2 g/L NaHCO3? (pKA2= 10.25)

In struggling with this one. Using Henderson hasselbach equation, I figured the concentration ratio would be 1, making the log of it 0 and then pH=pKa= 10.25. According to the book it is 8.28 and I can't figure out why

2) what volume of glacial acetic acid (density=1.06 g/mL) and what weight of solid potassium acetate are required to prepare 5 liters of 0.2 M acetate buffer, pH= 5?

I used Henderson hasselbach to find the ratio of base/acid and then used that to find a mole fraction. I multiplied mole fraction by concentration to get moles of each component but did not get correct answer after going from there. Any help appreciated

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
Re: PH
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 11:52:06 AM »
ref 1)
use molar ratios, not mass ratios, with HH !

ref 2)
I used Henderson hasselbach to find the ratio of base/acid and then used that to find a mole fraction. I multiplied mole fraction by concentration to get moles of each component but did not get correct answer after going from there. Any help appreciated
as this sounds like a good approach sofar, pls. expand on what exactly you did, i.e. show your calculation, so we could look for errors

regards

Ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Sponsored Links