April 25, 2024, 05:51:20 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Learning how to make cosmetic products  (Read 4979 times)

Offline Jiujiujitsu

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Learning how to make cosmetic products
« on: January 04, 2014, 12:33:44 AM »
About a month I acquired a cosmetics manufacturing company from my brother, the owner and company chemist. Due to health problems he can no longer run the company. I want to get myself up to speed with the chemistry background required in order to start running the company. This company researches and manufacturers cosmetic products. As of right now, I'm studying basic chemistry. I don't know if I need to study everything that a chemistry major would study in college but I was hoping to start with the subjects that I can directly apply to the company.

I know that this is an odd question and situation but any help that you all can offer would be great!

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Learning how to make cosmetic products
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 05:24:42 AM »
You should speak to the other formulation chemists in the company, and try to learn from them.  Find out what they do all day, and ask them what they need -- instruments, reagents, etc.  You will, in time, build up a good understanding of the process.

I work for a small consumer goods company, and while the owners know much about chemistry, they don't absolutely everything.  And they don't have to.  They work with the staff chemists to understand enough to get their work done.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 12:50:01 PM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 07:32:46 AM »
Why don't you discuss it with your brother - if he was the company chemist, he knows best what you should know.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline mkurek

• Mole Snacks: +2/-7
    • Matt's Notebook - College Course Help
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 08:43:52 PM »
Have you taken chemistry classes before? How much do you know already?

I would just read up on Gen Chem and O-Chem so that you can at least understand what your chemists are talking about, since I doubt you're just gonna pick up a book and become head chemist overnight.

Offline Jiujiujitsu

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 01:36:22 AM »
Thank you so much for the responses.

I wish that I could just simply ask my brother this question, but unfortunately his current health condition doesn't allow him to do so.

Anyways, i've been reading General Chemistry books and will soon dive into Organic Chemistry.

Thinking more about my initial question, I guess what I was trying to figure out is what I should be focusing on when I am reading/watching these Chemistry books and online lectures. I'm sure there are lots of extraneous material that will not be applicable or necessary for my situation. OR do you think I should try to learn it all because everything will eventually all tie together once I start learning more advance topics?

Offline Jiujiujitsu

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 01:42:41 AM »
Another important piece of information is that this company is a fairly innovative company. My brother was able to introduce new products to the market every 6-12 months. In addition, I need to try to learn how to formulate new products and also learn how to replicate products as well.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 04:04:23 AM »
If you are on the General Chemistry level, don't leave anything.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Benzene Martini

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 07:13:12 PM »
You should speak to the other formulation chemists in the company, and try to learn from them.  Find out what they do all day, and ask them what they need -- instruments, reagents, etc.  You will, in time, build up a good understanding of the process.

I work for a small consumer goods company, and while the owners know much about chemistry, they don't absolutely everything.  And they don't have to.  They work with the staff chemists to understand enough to get their work done.

BINGO!

Talk to the people that worked at the company. Will you have the same people working for you? Please learn how to trust them and value their input.

As an owner of the company, your job is not to know all of the technical aspects. That takes years of experience in addition to an education. Your job is to handle the finances, management, and direction of the company. Focus on treating the people right and learning from them. A textbook will give you basic knowledge, but all of the intimate knowledge is with the employees.

Treat your people right!

Sponsored Links