April 19, 2024, 04:54:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation  (Read 1523 times)

Offline treadlightly

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation
« on: January 26, 2014, 12:39:47 PM »
Hello all!

I have one question about a problem concerning the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation:
I'm mixing 100 milliliters of 1M Acetic acid (HOAC) (Pka=4.76) with 101 mL of 1M KOH in a flask and then adjusting the volume to 1 liter with water.
So basically, I have 0.1 mol of acetic acid and 0.101 mol of KOH. I'm trying to calculate pH.

I tried doing it the regular way, but then I realize that all of my weak acid has been neutralized. I'm not given a PKb so I can't do H-H in terms of the base. I'm left with,
pH = PKa + log (.10 mol OAc-/0.00 mol HOAC), which doesn't make sense because I'm dividing by zero. What can I do next?

Offline treadlightly

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 01:33:34 PM »
So I went ahead and did the problem without using henderson hasselbalch. I just used the concentration of KOH I had after the neutralization, which is .001M and calculated pOH from that, which is 3. Then I used that to find pH, which would be 11. Could someone verify my answer, please?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 02:01:53 PM »
Reasonably correct, this is basically a limiting reagent problem.

To be exact you should take into account fact that CH3COO- is a weak base:

CH3COO- + H2O ::equil:: CH3COOH + OH-

that would slightly shift the OH- concentration. But the change would be so small it can be safely ignored.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links