March 29, 2024, 07:26:27 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ability of releasing heat  (Read 3374 times)

Offline 234magnum

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Ability of releasing heat
« on: January 22, 2014, 06:59:32 AM »
Hello all, I'm new here. Nice to know you all  :)

I've been searching the web and can't find the answer and still don't understand. I want to ask about heat release/ability of releasing heat.
1. what is term for ability of releasing heat? is latent heat = releasing heat?
2. what properties I have to look, to know has high or low ability to release heat?
3. is there a connection between heat transfer, heat conductivity and ability of releasing heat?

Thank you and sorry for my poor English

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Ability of releasing heat
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 10:10:39 AM »
I'm not sure what you mean by "ability to release heat". All matter is capable of releasing heat. Any time two bodies of differing temperature are broad together, the hotter one will release heat to the colder one until they are in thermal equilibrium.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline 234magnum

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 01:02:12 PM »
I meant by "ability to release heat", is how fast cool

example:
a glass fill with 100gr oleic acid and another glass fill with 100gr linoleic acid. both heat to 80 Celsius, then cool in room temperature.

which one has higher ability/capability to release heat(cool faster)?
what properties I have to look, to know which one will cool faster?

Thank you

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 02:03:41 PM »
Ah, I see. Well yes there's a specific property that is the measure of this.  It is the same as the measurement for how much heat is required to raise the temperature of a substance by a certain amount. Do you know what it is?

(Do note that the time it takes to reach equilibrium depends not only on the property of the substance but also that of the surrounding substance, plus the amount of the substance in the sample.)
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links