March 28, 2024, 02:03:28 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: confused about initiation steps (ozonolysis)  (Read 2100 times)

Offline iScience

• Mole Snacks: +4/-22
confused about initiation steps (ozonolysis)
« on: February 08, 2014, 01:37:20 AM »
in one youtube video, they say that the pi electrons attack the neutral Oxygen of O3 and in another video they say that the oxygen with the negative formal charge attacks one of the carbons.

which video is correct? and why is that video correct and the other video wrong?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: confused about initiation steps (ozonolysis)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 01:55:39 AM »
I think it's the pi electrons attacking the oxygen and eliminating O2. A negative charge cannot easily approach an electron rich pi cloud.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline zsinger

• Mole Snacks: +18/-60
  • Graduate Chemist
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 10:50:15 AM »
Disco is correct.  Too much electron density in a Pi bond certainly. 
"The answer is of zero significance if one cannot distinctly arrive at said place with an explanation"

Offline iScience

• Mole Snacks: +4/-22
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 01:21:13 PM »
can you guys refer me to something more quantitative? when we're doing reactions in my o chem class, he draws all these arrows but i have no idea why some of these reactions are initiated. maybe there's a formula describing whether or not a reaction will occur when two compounds/atoms are brought together?

Offline PhDoc

• Mole Snacks: +22/-0
  • O-Chem Prof
    • PH.D. Organic Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 01:23:11 PM »
First of all, please get away from YouTube for anything not related to high school. Although there are some good videos out there, it's easy for an academic to pull out egregious errors in each video. Remember, you can try to explain to your prof how "YouTube said it was right," but your prof is guaranteed to tell you "YouTube is not grading your exam."

An ozonolysis reaction is an example of a 1,3-dipolar cycloaddition (+ reverse cycloaddition + re-cycloaddition) which may be thought of as a concerted process (all bond making and breaking steps occurring simultaneously). A stepwise diradical mechanism was once proposed, however there is too much evidence to support the cycloaddition mechanism. This reaction takes place via a six-electron aromatic transition state.

http://lennoxtutoring.com/2012/09/04/ozonolysis-mechanism/

O2 is not eliminated from this reaction. Rather a reductant (Me2S or Zn) extrudes an oxygen atom to complete the process.

Please look up 1,3-dipolar cycloadditions in a good textbook such as Vollhardt or Streitwieser and Heathcock, however a more rigorous explanation may be found here:

http://www.chem.wisc.edu/areas/organic/studsemin/wilde/wilde-sem.pdf
O-Chem Prof

Sponsored Links