April 25, 2024, 05:59:01 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: obtaining zinc pyrithione?  (Read 5855 times)

Offline sw18x

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
obtaining zinc pyrithione?
« on: February 07, 2014, 04:03:45 PM »
I'm hoping to get some help / advice on this...

I'm looking to obtain a small amount of a relatively benign chemical used most often in the cosmetic industry. Long story short: Stiefel Laboratories has discontinued a skin care product called ZNP bar used to treat seborrhea, leaving thousands of customers in the lurch. There are only a couple other similar products on the market, both are cheap knock offs which use comedogenic oils. All I want to do is mix my own soap, with a 2% solution of Zinc Pyrithione, but chemical companies won't give me the time of day. There's plenty of Zinc Pyrithione available from wholesalers, but how would a person get hold of a sample?

I'd appreciate any responses. Living with Seborrhea really stinks, and Zinc Pyrithione is such a quick fix, it's very frustrating having no access to the product. As an aside, this would probably be a profitable niche market for a small company that could replicate Stiefel's product. The last available ZNP bars were selling for $100 + each (!) on ebay a year or two ago.

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
Re: obtaining zinc pyrithione?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 06:25:03 PM »
Im afraid there is a rule about not helping ppl making their own cosmetics/medical stuff.
Anyway I find very hard to belive that there is only 1 manufacturer of this compound. Maybe try to ask a doctor or in pharmacy if they have it?

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: obtaining zinc pyrithione?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 09:34:40 PM »
While certain cosmetic making discussions are not allowed here, we can discuss soap making.
But the acquiring the chemical may be better handled by home made soap making  suppliers like
http://www.bulkapothecary.com/
Although they might not have the zinc product you want
They can advise you on reasonable substitutes

I am going to lock this for now but you can contact me using the message system on this forum should you feel you have the need. I want to make sure you are reasonably treated.

Also it would be nice if you read the forum rules so as not to cause yourself problems here in the future.
Bill

« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 10:26:59 PM by billnotgatez »

Sponsored Links