April 19, 2024, 09:48:34 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Etherification right after aldehyde reduction?  (Read 5766 times)

Offline darkdevil

• Mole Snacks: +3/-2
Etherification right after aldehyde reduction?
« on: April 07, 2014, 04:07:36 AM »
Hi,
I am performing a reduction experiment on an aldehyde into an alcohol using sodium borohydride. In a typical work-up procedure, water and HCl was added to protonate the alkoxide and forming the neutralized alcohol.
I just wonder if I add an alkyl halide instead of water and HCl during the work-up part, will I get an ether rather than the alcohol? Is this possible so that I can do the etherification in a one-pot manner?

Offline AlphaScent

• Mole Snacks: +24/-7
Re: Etherification right after aldehyde reduction?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 10:48:59 AM »
This a good question I think.  The attached web page has the general mechanism about 3/4 of the way down.  The BH3 that is produced after the addition of a hydride atom will continue to react and form a tetrahedral intermediate that is cleaved during the acidic workup.  Is it crazy to think an alkyl halide would not react.  I am sure it would.  Conditions would have to be thought about though.  I know it would be nice to do the etherification in one step.  But why not isolate the alcohol and perform a well known and studied Williamson ether synthesis?
If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the precipitate

Offline AlphaScent

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 11:41:05 AM »

I am performing a reduction experiment on an aldehyde into an alcohol using sodium borohydride. In a typical work-up procedure, water and HCl was added to protonate the alkoxide and forming the neutralized alcohol.

If you are performing a typical borohydride reduction, then you will be using an alcohol as solvent. This will compete with your desired ether formation. Secondly, as I understand the mechanism, HCl does more than protonate any alkoxide present. Boron will not be present as a simple trivalent cation. It will be present as a borate ester. The HCl protonates any remaining B-H bonds to give hydrogen, but it also hydrolyzes the borate esters to give boronic acid and your free alcohol. I suggest working up your nascent alcohol and if you wish, convert it to your ether without further ado.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline darkdevil

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 12:25:01 PM »
I can obatain my alcohol as a pure product actually. But it does not go well with williamson ether synthesis. My alcohol is 1-Pyrenemethanol. When I do the etherification, the reaction did not seem to proceed well. I did 2 trials. the first one I used K2CO3 as base and DMF as solvent. while the second experiment I used NaOH(aq) and DMF. Both reactions did not give any changes in TLC. And I can even recover my alcohol (confirmed by NMR analysis) which means the reaction did not undergo properly as well. I do not have sodium hydride here, so I came up with this idea of doing the aldehyde reduction thing to get my ether directly in one-pot manner.

I think in another possible case I will try to make the alkoxide with sodium metal and then add my alkyl halide to get my ether.

Thanks

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 02:20:25 PM »
What alkyl halide are you using?
And maybe more importantly, why are you using DMF as your solvent?

Offline darkdevil

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 02:09:50 AM »
My alkyl halide is vinlybenzyl chloride.
the reason I use DMF is that I read about the effect of solvent may greatly affect the nucleophic attack. So I chose DMF as the solvent which it is polar aprotic and with a higher b.p.
I did a similar reaction before with DMF, K2CO3, Phenol amd a primary alkyl halide. The reaction worked fine with over 90% yield. I have no idea why the reaction I  trying now gave a quite different results as they are both primary alcohol and primary alkylhalide.

Offline AlphaScent

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 09:05:49 AM »
Isnt it a benzylic alcohol?

Offline darkdevil

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 09:11:53 AM »
This is the alcohol

And I think there is something to do with the solubility of the alcohol. This alcohol is not water soluble. Even if I add a crown ether, the reaction does not proceed. Still thinking how to do it :O

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 09:34:58 AM »
When a phenol is used, potassium carbonate can convert it to its anion completely. With a benzylic alcohol, the equilibrium greatly favors the un-ionized form. As a result, the kinetics should result in a very very slow reaction.

You need a stronger base.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline darkdevil

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 01:44:35 AM »
Hi,
It seems the reaction is proceeding using high concentration of KOH solution with THF and a equivalent amount of phase transfer catalyst with the alcohol.
Another TLC spot is on top of the starting material after 12 hours of reaction, but I can still see an adequate amount of starting material at the bottom. I am now trying to increase the temperature a little and wait.

Offline darkdevil

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 09:40:42 AM »
And when I used a stronger base (eg. NaH). I can get 98% yield for the etherification with benzylic alcohol:alkyl halide in 1:1.1 ratio without large excess of alkyl halide

Offline AlphaScent

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 10:19:29 AM »
Awesome.  Isnt it great when it works!!!

Offline Tcsbabie86

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 03:10:15 PM »
Hi I am attempting a similar reaction except I am using a phenol with my alkyl halide being 2-chloroethanol.  I am having the same problem you were having where I am getting my starting material with no extra spots showing up on my tlc plates.  Do you have any advice on solvents and procedure for this to take place.

Thanks

Sponsored Links