March 28, 2024, 10:11:39 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Mechanism Question  (Read 2304 times)

Offline zsinger

• Mole Snacks: +18/-60
  • Graduate Chemist
Mechanism Question
« on: April 09, 2014, 10:17:40 AM »
All,
In the reaction where reduction is ultimately achieved by the dissolving metal in acid, are the free electrons derived from the reducible species somewhat of an "electron push" to drive the reaction forward?  It would seem to me that the spare electrons which are added to the reducible entity create somewhat of an alpha effect, allowing the reaction to reach completion, therefore making δG negative at much milder conditions.  Any input is much appreciated.  I looked at the mechanism and cannot figure out if this reactions electrons would technically be considered a "catalyst".
              -Zack
"The answer is of zero significance if one cannot distinctly arrive at said place with an explanation"

Offline AlphaScent

• Mole Snacks: +24/-7
Re: Mechanism Question
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 02:32:04 PM »
Zack

My physical organic knowledge is lacking.  For my own thoughts though, what is the metal and acid? HCl and iron?  What is the reducible species?  I am wondering because I remember the alpha effect has to do with alpha heteroatoms with a lone pair.

Cheers!
If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the precipitate

Offline zsinger

• Mole Snacks: +18/-60
  • Graduate Chemist
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 07:28:22 PM »
Metal=Fe (s.)
Acid=HCl (conc.)

Regardless of reducible species, it should still fundamentally and chemically work the same way :).
       -Z 
"The answer is of zero significance if one cannot distinctly arrive at said place with an explanation"

Offline stanleyykk

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 06:44:33 PM »
Very interesting question... I have no idea... But if the electrons are catalyst that means electrons will just keep flowing. Therefore if you go find some Fe and put them into the HCl, record the pH and current from start to finish while adding more and more HCl by drop, if the electrons are catalyst, I think the current would be constant. Yet... when looking at a battery, the current do stop at sometime and most of the time make me die in League of Legend so I don't think the electrons can be considered a "catalyst" since it does get use up.

Just some crazy thoughts.

-xMSanta (adding this because you added -Z would looks cool)

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 04:13:58 PM »
All,
In the reaction where reduction is ultimately achieved by the dissolving metal in acid, are the free electrons derived from the reducible species somewhat of an "electron push" to drive the reaction forward?  It would seem to me that the spare electrons which are added to the reducible entity create somewhat of an alpha effect, allowing the reaction to reach completion, therefore making δG negative at much milder conditions.  Any input is much appreciated.  I looked at the mechanism and cannot figure out if this reactions electrons would technically be considered a "catalyst".
              -Zack

I am really struggling to follow this, maybe I am just being dumb.

Can you draw out your substrate, proposed mechanism and show what you mean by an "alpha effect" which is independent of the substrate.
“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Sponsored Links