April 24, 2024, 07:22:41 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: hydrogen obtaining  (Read 5062 times)

grmile

hydrogen obtaining
« on: April 12, 2014, 01:44:48 PM »
Hi!
Could you please help me in solving the problem of obtaining hydrogen in stratosphere. The temperature -50 C pressure ~40 mm Hg, humidity 2-4 mg/kg. I think that i need something to tie the water and free it by electrolysis.
Thank you!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: hydrogen obtaining
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 01:57:19 PM »
You live there?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

grmile

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 02:15:55 PM »
You live there?

No, but some devices doing it. That devices gets there by hydrogen or helium, but can loose some portion of it. One way is to supply reserve with gas cylinder, other -- is to obtain gas in stratosphere.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 04:54:30 PM »
Do you have a reputable reference to suggest that there is any at that height?  Do you know how much you'll need, and how much work energy it will cost to collect it?  Or do you want to perform electrolysis of the condensed water vapor?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

grmile

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 03:19:59 AM »
Do you have a reputable reference to suggest that there is any at that height?  Do you know how much you'll need, and how much work energy it will cost to collect it?  Or do you want to perform electrolysis of the condensed water vapor?
Yes, there is something, 20 km is not too far from the Earth.
I will need about 500 liters of H per 24 hours. (at that pressure) or , said 22 l =)) at 760 mm.
I don't know how much energy will cost to collect it, maybe you will help to estimate it?
It is the one way to do it, but -50 C and 2 mg/kg doing things hard.

I thought about some liquid which can react with water in air. Or maybe we have to use Na to get NaOH and after that melt it and do electrolysis of it, i don't know.

Offline student123

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 12:13:23 PM »
Have you got a cepelin on hydrogen to need obtaining hydrogen in stratosphere? Can you tell me which vehicles beside cepelin (today not) and maybe hot air balloons use hydrogen and are flying in sratosphere. One way to colect hydrogen is (theoretical) to use sun energy and with this energy make electrolyse of water. But to do this way you need very big solar cells and something that will water gas condensate. Gas like water gas don't conduct electricity so then you must use liquid water. Ice also don't conduct electricity. Do you know how fridges works. They suck outside air and compress it then suddenly push it out and inside pipes air circulates (that cool the air). But fridges which we have at home are heavy and bad to put in a vehicle which fly in stratosphere, so you must make in one way smaller fridge and also a fridge that will have less weight. For example You can make a fridge from     metal pipe which is sank in icy water. This method will help some time but than will be water hotter than before. But that will be very long. At the end of the metal pipe will be water tank ( there wil be water colected) and in water tank will be two wires (+ and - ), on wires will be cathode and anode to obtain hydrogen and oxygen. Hydrogen will go out to hydrogen tank.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 02:00:34 PM »
I am afraid you post makes about as much factual sense as your English does :(
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline student123

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 03:27:08 PM »
What did you think with this?

Offline student123

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 03:29:24 PM »
What, is my english bad?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 05:01:42 PM »
It looks like a machine translation.

Offline student123

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 05:21:31 PM »
Ja, I was not born in english talking country, so I speak and write english with some mistakes.

Offline student123

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 05:26:19 PM »
If I don't know one word then I go to translator and translate. I never translate whole sentences but just a words.

Sponsored Links