April 26, 2024, 11:04:53 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Simple equilibrium  (Read 1890 times)

Offline Big-Daddy

• Mole Snacks: +28/-94
Simple equilibrium
« on: April 14, 2014, 09:38:36 AM »
So on this thread http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=69295.0 the problem asked (I thought to raise my point in a new thread) was:

In the reaction C2H4 (g) + H2O (g) <---> C2H5OH (g) with K=2 , 2 moles of C2H4 and 2 moles of H2O are at equilibrium in a specific temperature and in a container with volume of 2 liters. What is the yield of the reaction?

The answer generally came to y = 2/3. I can see where that idea comes from because equilibrium moles of the product is apparently 4. Here it was assumed K=Kc=[C2H5OH]/([C2H4]*[H2O]).

If instead K=Kp then I got equilibrium moles of 99.1 mol at 298 K (assumed). equilibrium moles of product = 8RT /(V·p°), 8 because K*n(C2H4)*n(H2O)=8, V in m3, p° = 105 Pa.
obviously this doesn't correspond with any of the given answers, it gives yield = 98%.

So did you just decide that because T was not given, they must be referring to Kc when they quote value of K?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Simple equilibrium
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 12:48:27 PM »
The question was incomplete and there were no correct answer regardless of whether one decided to use Kc or Kp, so in general it is a moot.

K is given for the reaction which uses gaseous water, and 298 K doesn't make much sense to me. If anything, I would assume 373K at least.

No idea what was behind curiouscat thinking.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Big-Daddy

• Mole Snacks: +28/-94
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 05:20:38 PM »
The question was incomplete and there were no correct answer regardless of whether one decided to use Kc or Kp, so in general it is a moot.

K is given for the reaction which uses gaseous water, and 298 K doesn't make much sense to me. If anything, I would assume 373K at least.

So we'll assume it was just a bad question, that's why they didn't consider the need for given temperature.

But, why is it incomplete with Kc, yield = equilibrium moles of product / initial moles of reactant = 4 / (4+2)?

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 02:25:36 AM »

Not having to assume a Temperature.

Sponsored Links