April 18, 2024, 02:37:51 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Method for Paraffin Wax Extraction from Copier Toner  (Read 2608 times)

Offline npurnell

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Method for Paraffin Wax Extraction from Copier Toner
« on: April 14, 2014, 03:44:57 PM »
I am trying to do a quantitative analysis on the amount of paraffin wax contained within a sample of toner (for a copy machine).  I do not have a GC available, only a DSC and FTIR.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to extract the wax and quantitate the amount?  The toner generally contains a resin (polyester), a paraffin wax, and charge control agent. 

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
Re: Method for Paraffin Wax Extraction from Copier Toner
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 04:20:30 PM »
I am trying to do a quantitative analysis on the amount of paraffin wax contained within a sample of toner (for a copy machine).  I do not have a GC available, only a DSC and FTIR.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to extract the wax and quantitate the amount?  The toner generally contains a resin (polyester), a paraffin wax, and charge control agent. 

Most of what you describe probably wont dissolve in pentane apart from the paraffin.

A soxhlett extraction using a light petroleum such as pentane (on dry toner, i.e. no water) should fully remove the paraffin, which you can test with IR then the thimble can be dried and the difference weighed.
“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Offline npurnell

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Method for Paraffin Wax Extraction from Copier Toner
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 07:31:47 AM »
Thank you for your reply, this helps greatly. 

Sponsored Links