April 18, 2024, 11:11:52 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Best way to synthesize Na metal?  (Read 3357 times)

Offline wildbiologist2

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Best way to synthesize Na metal?
« on: April 16, 2014, 10:26:33 AM »
I was wondering what the cheapest and most efficient way to synthesize sodium metal. Pretty easy to do it by doing a molten hydrolysis of NaOH.

Anyone familiar on potassium metal production?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Best way to synthesize Na metal?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 11:23:55 AM »
There is no way to "synthesize" sodium, unless you plan to use nuclear reactor.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline xx0numb0xx

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 11:43:09 AM »
Molten electrolysis, not hydrolysis. Sodium chloride is by far a cheaper substitute for sodium hydroxide, but the energy required for the extra 500°C melting point may offset the cheaper buying price. The chlorine gas is also a nuisance. The process would be slightly more efficient, though, because the water produced in hydroxide oxidation absorbs some of the heat and also reacts with the sodium metal, reversing the reaction. The main problem is the higher melting point.

Sodium metal is dangerous enough. Do not try to extract potassium. Sodium metal is easily stored in substances like mineral oil. If you went outside, made some potassium, and tried to store it in mineral oil, you could cause an explosion. Because of its greater reactivity, potassium reacts with oxygen to yield peroxides and superoxides, which are explosive when in contact with organic compounds. The peroxides and superoxides even exothermically react with the unexposed potassium. There are a few stories of large explosions in potassium manufacturing plants because the potassium was exposed to oxygen before being stored in mineral oil or kerosene. Even if you manage to store it without problems, if there is any oxygen in the container, it will slowly react with the potassium. The peroxide is a shock-sensitive explosive, which could be set off by simply opening the container. There are so many things that could go wrong. It's better to just steer away from that idea.

Offline wildbiologist2

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 05:57:36 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys (Sorry for the typo, silly me.) Just a curiosity that I had, that's all.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 01:57:24 AM »
We have a search feature for this forum.
You will see me mention
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downs_Cell
every time someone wants to make Sodium

Offline vmelkon

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-10
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 11:56:52 PM »
To produce sodium metal, the easiest would be to melt some NaOH and do electrolysis. There are some technical problems with this. You need good temperature control. I remember some guy had built a metal container with heater. I think he used 2 nickel electrodes and was producing large quantities.

Here is the basic NaOH thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL1cKb3_ojE

"Anyone familiar on potassium metal production?"

Not really. I guess they melt KCl which occurs in large quantities and electrolyse it.
Or do the Humphrey David method : use KOH.

There is also a surprising other method to make potassium
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=14970&page=58
It requires KOH, Mg powder or turnings, a certain heavy oily liquid (read the forum) and a tertiary alcohol like tert-butanol. It doesn't work for Na, probably because of the size of the Na atom.
K forms potassium tert-butoxide and it is probably stable.
Nurdrage on youtube had used the same method.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 12:07:26 AM by vmelkon »

Sponsored Links