April 19, 2024, 02:31:12 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to tell Functional Group from a Substituent  (Read 1668 times)

Offline jmarie16

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How to tell Functional Group from a Substituent
« on: April 16, 2014, 06:23:22 PM »
I'm having trouble understanding some of my teacher's chemistry slides. In it, it states:
"When there is both a functional group suffix and a substituent, the functional group suffix gets the lowest number"

Then the example is given as follows: CH3CHCHCH2CH3 with a Cl atom on the second Carbon (if reading from left to right) and an OH group on the third.

The topic is on nomenclature of alcohols so I assume the functional group to be the OH group and therefore I would number from right to left, giving the OH group the lower number (3) and the Cl would be considered to be on C4. That would mean it is 4-chloro-3-pentanol, because I'm considering OH to be the functional group and 3 is the lower than 4. However, my teacher's notes say it is supposed to be 2-chloro-3-pentanol. Which confuses me because I thought Cl would be the substituent. Can anyone explain this to me?

PS- Sorry for the awful formatting, I'm new to this and not sure how to format structures in this box and trying to insert an image was equally as foreign to me. I'd really appreciate any explanation I can get :)

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: How to tell Functional Group from a Substituent
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 06:30:05 PM »
The substituents are arranged in alphabetical order in the name, hence chloro-hydroxy..
The numbering in such a compound is done so that the sum of the locants is lowest, in your example, 4-chloro-3-hydroxy gives 7 as the sum in the teacher's example, 2-chloro-3-hydroxy the sum is 5. Therefore the latter is chosen.
CC(Cl)C(O)CC
2-chloropentan-3-ol
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline jmarie16

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: How to tell Functional Group from a Substituent
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 06:01:30 PM »
thank you so much, that completely cleared things up for me!

Sponsored Links