April 23, 2024, 08:35:51 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ion exchange eluate pH  (Read 1862 times)

Offline Anthasci

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Ion exchange eluate pH
« on: April 29, 2014, 09:50:46 PM »
Greetings! So, I'm trying to understand a little thing here:

100 mL of NaH2BO3 (0,100 M) is poured over 5,0 g of a strong cation exchanger (i.e.), with the capacity of 40,0 mg CaO/g. What is the pH of the eluate after we've added 10,0 mL of 0,100 M H3BO3 to it?

My train of thought went like this;

calculating the total capacity of the i.e. yields 3,565 mmol of CaO, equalling 7,130 mmol for Na+. Given that we have 10,0 mmol of NaH2BO3, the eluate should contain:
-2,87 mmol of H2BO3- (the salt that didn't exchange it's Na+)
-7,13 mmol of H3BO3 (equal to the amount in moles of Na+ that exchanged with the i.e., thus protonating the salt)

and since pKa1 = 9,24

the pH of this eluate is 8.84

now when we add the acid, does the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation equal:

pH = pKa1 + log [itex] \frac {[H2BO3-] - [H3BO3]added}{[H3BO3] + [H3BO3]added}[/itex]

of course taking into account that we added 1 mmol of H3BO3 and that the total volume is now V=0,110 L, and we arrive at:

pH=8.60

My main dilemma here is as follows: When we have an acid/conjugated base buffer and we add strong acid, in the numerator, we subtract the amount of protons added and add this amount in the denominator. From my understanding, when I'm adding that extra H3BO3 I'm adding HA, which is like adding protons, is this correct? Can I just add this number in the denominator and subtract in the numerator? And would the reverse hold if I were to be adding the salt of H2BO3-?

Thank you very much for tips and help
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 10:01:44 PM by Anthasci »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Ion exchange eluate pH
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 02:43:23 AM »
You are not protonating H2BO3- adding H3BO3. Even if you would, you will produce exactly the same substances in exactly the same amounts (so the net effect is null). The only thing that you are changing by addition of H3BO3 is the amount of the H3BO3 present.

Please don't mix LaTeX and BBC code in formulas, format whole formula using LaTeX.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links