April 20, 2024, 01:18:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Cracking your knuckles!?  (Read 9580 times)

rookie

Cracking your knuckles!?
« on: March 18, 2006, 10:07:10 PM »
I read somewhere that the sound you hear when u crack your knuckles is actually the sound of nitrogen gas bubbles bursting... is this true?!  ???

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
Re:Cracking your knuckles!?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 10:08:20 AM »
I recently found out that a whip crack is due to a mini sonic boom as the whiplash causes the end of the whip to break the sound barrier. They slowed down a video and worked out the speed of the whip to be about 800 (ish) miles an hour.

wrt your question I'm afraid I don't know  -  I stand to be corrected but I think it is an unlikely explanation.
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 06:16:25 PM »
It is actually your cartilage screaming in pain and pleading for mercy.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 06:17:28 PM by billnotgatez »

savoy7

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 07:14:34 PM »
The "sudden" movement of fluid in the joint (synovial) from one side to another causes that noise.  The sudden is relative to the normal movement of the fluid.

I have read no article that statistically links cracking knuckles to joint issues.

I have concluded that it does disgust my wife.

Offline Organishe

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +3/-0
  • I'm a mole!
Re: Cracking your knuckles!?
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 03:46:07 AM »
I've actually heard that the original explanation given is the correct one: in the process of popping your knuckles, the pressure within the joint capsule is lowered sufficiently to allow dissolved nitrogen/other gases in the synovial fluid to gassify, forming tiny bubbles that burst, creating the pop. It then takes a few minutes to redissolve, hence giving an explanation as to why it takes a few minutes before you can pop your knucle again. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cracking_knuckles

So, I wouldn't say it is definite, but the majority of sources I've found do seem to agree on this explanation.

Ta

Sponsored Links