April 26, 2024, 09:39:17 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Dehydration of sugar - carbon  (Read 3261 times)

Offline maxvortex

• Mole Snacks: +1/-3
Dehydration of sugar - carbon
« on: May 21, 2014, 06:29:05 AM »
Hi.

Am just wondering what would happen when i add water or bee wax to the carbon that was created from dehydration of sugar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqi50sjJVc0

The final goal is to create carbon rod.

Will this carbon melt and create some form of sugar again or something else. Btw. am not chemist so please be kind with your answers :-)

Max

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Dehydration of sugar - carbon
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 07:13:00 AM »
Carbon's properties simply aren't like that.  You can't melt carbon, or dissolve it in water. I supposed you could mix powdered carbon with some sort of binder and compress it.  That is essentially what a pencil lead is.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline maxvortex

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 05:41:02 AM »
But if you make dehydration, when you add water again it should create some kind of sugar alike compound. Just thinking aloud :-)
Of course , h2s04 + sugar has created new compound - carbon and carbon is not soluble, but i was thinking that this carbon has still some kind of sugar part which with combining with water would resolve in some sugar mix. Anyway, thank you for replay !

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 08:45:21 AM »
But if you make dehydration, when you add water again it should create some kind of sugar alike compound. Just thinking aloud :-)
Of course , h2s04 + sugar has created new compound - carbon and carbon is not soluble, but i was thinking that this carbon has still some kind of sugar part which with combining with water would resolve in some sugar mix. Anyway, thank you for replay !

No, the chemistry of carbohydrates doesn't work that way.  There are some names at work here:  carbohydrate vs hydrated chemical salts (example:CuSO4ยท5H2O), and dehydration, as in drying, or gentle heating vs the sulfuric acid reaction.  But no, the processes aren't the same, people just didn't really understand these concepts when they were coining these terms, and now we're stuck with them.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 10:03:35 AM »
Not every reaction is reversible.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline vmelkon

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-10
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 11:38:44 PM »

The black stuff is probably amorphous carbon and the edge atoms need to have a neighbor, which might be H2O or OH and who knows what. But no, you can't dissolve it in water.

There are probably other intermediate products in there as well. Perhaps adding water will dissolve them.

Offline maxvortex

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 09:45:06 AM »
Thank you all for reply.

Sponsored Links