April 23, 2024, 12:51:41 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Tyre pyrolysis oil  (Read 10483 times)

Offline granik

• Mole Snacks: +0/-4
Tyre pyrolysis oil
« on: May 26, 2014, 12:42:39 AM »
Dear colleagues chemists!
I have questions about tyre pyrolysis oil.
Which chemicals (fractions) can be obtained from tyre pyrolysis oil with distillation process and so on?
which temperatures at distillation process?
I thank you for you answers

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Tyre pyrolysis oil
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 08:46:47 AM »
Dear colleagues chemists!
I have questions about tyre pyrolysis oil.

OK

Which chemicals (fractions) can be obtained from tyre pyrolysis oil with distillation process

What have you found by current literature searches of your own?

and so on?

And this part of your question, it means, what?  You're not even asking a question, at this point.

which temperatures at distillation process?
I thank you for you answers

You've been asked before to Google for general concepts instead of just creating a forum post asking for "everything" and you've said you couldn't find anything.  However, a quick Google by me lead to two scholarly articles on the topic.  Did you try those?  What do they say?  Can you understand them, or do you need help with a particular part of them?

https://www.google.com/search?q=tyre+pyrolysis+oil&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline granik

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 10:45:36 AM »
Dear Arkcon
I thank you for your comment.
Before I wrote here I searched info in google, but there are only common data.
I need more detailed information so I wrote here. May be some participants of this forum know more than me about distillation of tyre pyrolysis oil.
Thank you for understanding

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 10:57:30 AM »

Tell us about this common data.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 11:39:02 AM »
There are many PhD theses on tyre pyrolysis and the conversion to liquid fuels. They use to include some distillation step, and detail the compositions more or less.

Among the holy mess of pyrolysis, tyres use to produce some isoprene and much of its polymers, like limonene and heavier. Several authors suggest transformations, not just separation, to obtain useable fuels; they often increase the hydrogen contents, by reaction with waste polyolefin pyrolysis products.

I haven't read how badly the liquid fraction stinks. This could hamper its widespread use.

An other interrogation: while tyre recycling is a honourable enterprise, can it be cheaper than sources of new isoprene and polyisoprene? New latex or gutta-percha are dirt-cheap and much cleaner than tyre pyro oils.

If you could trimerize or tetramerize (mix welcome) isoprene head-to-tail and hydrogenate it,
http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=56069.msg202845#msg202845
that would be an excellent fuel (farnesane, phytane) for airliners and rockets.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 11:42:56 AM »

If you could trimerize or tetramerize (mix welcome) isoprene head-to-tail and hydrogenate it,
that would be an excellent fuel (farnesane, phytane) for airliners and rockets.

Airliners & rockets? Both?

I thought a good fuel for one was never very good for the other? Unless you mean some crazy type of airliner.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 11:47:04 AM »
Dear Arkcon
I thank you for your comment.
I need more detailed information so I wrote here. May be some participants of this forum know more than me about distillation of tyre pyrolysis oil.
Thank you for understanding

You are incorrect.  The references on Google are very technical, and fairly specific about conditions.  They don't give complete recipes, because those are likely trade secrets.  You expect too much of a web forum, and you've given us no hint that you are even knowledgeable enough to understand these topics.  Can you follow these documents?

http://www.afrinc.com/nge/tire%20pyrolysis%20chemtech.pdf

{sorry for edits -- internet pipe too small for attachments}
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline granik

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 12:14:07 AM »
There are many PhD theses on tyre pyrolysis and the conversion to liquid fuels. They use to include some distillation step, and detail the compositions more or less.
Dear Enthalpy!
I thank you for you answer.
When I searched info about distillation of tyre pyrolysis oil in Google, unfortunately I did not see some PhD theses about this. May be you know these thesis or you know where I can get them?
What I know about distillation of tyre pyrolysis oil from Google, only that at this process can be obtained some fractions (diesel and others).
In Google I can not find more detailed information abot this process (temperature, vacuum or pressure- conditions of distillation).
So I wrote here may be someone made in chemical lab distillation of tyre pyrolysis oil. So knows necessary temperatures and other conditions of distillation

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 07:52:53 AM »
Airliners & rockets? Both? I thought a good fuel for one was never very good for the other?

Among the many kinds of rocket propellants, most of them abandoned, some are just liquid hydrocarbons. Combined with liquid oxygen, they push nearly all the cheaper launcher presently. Users like them: stable, non-toxic (the alternative is udmh in 300t amount), non-flammable (flash point > +55°C). Only hydrogen brings much better performance.

The needs differ a bit between an aeroplane and a rocket. Most important for a turbofan or turboprop is that the cold atmosphere doesn't let ice, paraffins nor anything precipitate and clog up the injectors; they also desire both a rather easy vaporization but a low autoignition, fit by a mix of short and long hydrocarbons. Usual rockets need less cold operation but demand that the fuel makes no bubbles nor solids in the chamber's cooling jacket, which is hot. And it goes without saying, but better if I say it: the fuel shall not detonate in the jacket - this excludes propyne for instance.

Consequently, the standard rocket hydrocarbon fuel, RP-1 in the US, RG-1 in Russia, is just a more refined oil distillate, called colloquially "kerosene" but nearer to Diesel oil, from which anything that can polymerize (multiple bonds) or make bubbles (volatiles) is removed.

So the differences aren't big. Kerosene processed further would make a rocket fuel. RP-1 would fly an airliner, just more expensive. 100% Farnesane is proposed by Amyris (US patent 7,589,243) as a bioengineered replacement for jet fuel and looks excellent as a rocket propellant.

Farnesane and phytane are hard to boil, which may be a drawback to stabilize the flame - or is it an advantage, since their autoignition is lower than the boiling point?

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 08:12:59 AM »
When I searched info about distillation of tyre pyrolysis oil in Google, unfortunately I did not see some PhD theses about this. May be you know these thesis or you know where I can get them?

The search keywords
tyre pyrolysis "PhD thesis"
look rather efficient. Example of result:
http://kchbi.chtf.stuba.sk/ODAOld/doc/P1-Training%20Report-Gulzad.pdf
but not exactly distillation for this one.

What I don't fully understand, and can make your search more difficult, is why you want to distillate. Pyrolysis already gives varied products depending on the temperature and on carrier gas; apparently nobody bothers to distillate after, and everyone concentrates on the pyrolysis conditions. An other difficulty is that the isoprene polymers (terpenes etc.) must transform much more than they separate when heated, so you would continue the pyrolysis instead of distilling.

If you really want to obtain well-defined products (for which starting by pyrolysis is unnatural) maybe you can stabilize the compounds before distillation, say by adding hydrogen first?

Offline granik

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 08:32:00 AM »
Dear Enthalpy!
As far as I know, need prepare usefull chemical product from tyre pyrolysis oil, not from gas.
What chemicals can be obtained from tyre pyrolysis oil?

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 03:10:16 PM »
Pity I didn't find again the theses. Their subject wasn't my first interest when I saw them. Anyway, my general impression is that:
  • Tyre pyrolysis produces a huge mix of badly defined and badly reproducible compounds. The analyses I saw didn't detail each compound, rather by number of carbons or by molecular mass - already messy enough.
  • Nobody hopes to extract a single chemical compound from that. Other processes must be easier.
  • The general attempt is to obtain a burnable liquid, whose detailed composition is unimportant
By "add hydrogen" I meant: saturate some double bonds before any further heating (including distillation), so that the compounds transform less easily.

The well-known compounds obtained regularly from tyre pyrolysis are isoprene and some terpenes, especially limonene. They are clean and dirt-cheap from other sources and processes.

I had hoped to get compounds with many double bonds from tyre pyrolysis (and cyclopropanate them) but at pyrolysis (or distillation) temperature, such compounds cyclize. Small amounts of 3-methyl-1,3,5-hexatriene are mentioned, which might lead to Syntin, an efficient rocket propellant
http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=65186.msg234507#msg234507
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syntin

While isoprene can be processed to interesting compounds, I don't see why it should be obtained from waste tyres.

Offline granik

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 12:15:38 AM »
Dear Enthalpy!
I very thank you for very usefull information.
Besides this, what fractions (diesel and so on) can be prepared from tyre pyrolysis oil?
In Google I saw only a little information (only mentioned in a few words).
May be you have more detailed info about this aspect?

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 05:55:08 PM »
Last time I read about, people had not achieved accurate fuels. Research was still trying to obtain a burning liquid with decent viscosity and pour point, but little more than that.

One difficulty must be the C to H ratio. Tyres contain little H (typically multiples of C5H8 for the polymer, not to mention metal, carbon black) so pyrolysis products with many multiple bonds change during the process and make compounds that differ from oil distillates.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_fuel#Chemical_composition
http://webserver.dmt.upm.es/~isidoro/bk3/c15/Fuel%20properties.pdf

Offline marquis

• Mole Snacks: +35/-3
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 07:54:28 PM »
The pyrolysis products can vary dramatically from tire to tire.

In the US, few tires are based on polyisoprene (polyisoprene, when pyrolyzed,
will give a fair portion of isoprene).  Many are blends of many polymers.  SBR, EPDM,
etc are common.  Knowing the polymers in the tire will give an idea of what the
pyrolysis products will be.

I can't tell you much about distillation pyrolysis.  Sorry.  The way we identified
pyrolsis materials was with a lab pyrolysis instrument fed into the injection port
of a GC/MS.  It gave you a pretty good idea of what the decomp products would
be. 

Good luck.

Sponsored Links