April 20, 2024, 06:38:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Heat and pressure  (Read 2455 times)

Offline bubblev11

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Heat and pressure
« on: May 28, 2014, 03:37:30 PM »
Hello! My first time on a chemistry forum. My name is Ana ;D. I want to heat up a solution 'till its melting point [300°C] and I want to maintain 50-60 pounds of pressure per square inch [both for a few hours]. How can I do that? I don't want to lose my initial solution quantity. Thanks for your help. Hope this is a good place for my question.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Heat and pressure
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 04:35:03 PM »
A Parr reactor is the high tech way to go, but it might be overkill for what you need, i.e., the pressures you're working at.

http://www.parrinst.com/products/stirred-reactors/
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline bubblev11

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 07:29:19 AM »
Thanks! You really helped me,

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 09:58:30 AM »
I seem to recall in my graduate school lab that we had a Parr reactor suitable for these kinds of pressures. It was a  glass vessel that just had a regulator that fit on the top of it. We also had a high pressure version, a thick stainless steel monster we affectionately called "The Bomb". Needless to say, working with that thing scared the bejeezus out of me.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links