April 19, 2024, 06:51:40 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Thin Layer Chromatography question  (Read 9972 times)

Offline lohjxMARCUS

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Thin Layer Chromatography question
« on: June 04, 2014, 04:12:29 AM »
I just done my lab, for TLC for spinach (plant) , however i'm curious to know why anhydrous magnesium sulfate was used in the experiment, i know it acts as a drying agent? But i suppose there are more reasons than that?

Offline AlphaScent

• Mole Snacks: +24/-7
Re: Thin Layer Chromatography question
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 10:31:01 AM »
Need more details.  Could you write the lab procedure out or post it?
If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the precipitate

Offline lohjxMARCUS

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 07:57:21 PM »
Ok so first of all...let me clarify...removing water with the use of MgSO4 basically makes sure that there is proper separation of the compounds within the spinach, since water is polar it may be attracted to the stationary phase of the tlc paper therefore causing uneven separation?

But in the marking scheme of my lab experiment it says to label 2 uses of MgSO4 as it has 2 roles. All i did was grind the magnesium sulfate with thr spinach in the pre lab.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 08:35:59 PM »
Did you try grinding the spinach leaves without magnesium sulfate?  I'm betting you didn't.  But try at home -- if you have some spinach, try macerating (that's the term for grinding things that are soft) spinach by itself.  Then try grinding it with something granular, like table salt or sugar.  See what happens.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline lohjxMARCUS

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 06:29:19 AM »
Did you try grinding the spinach leaves without magnesium sulfate?  I'm betting you didn't.  But try at home -- if you have some spinach, try macerating (that's the term for grinding things that are soft) spinach by itself.  Then try grinding it with something granular, like table salt or sugar.  See what happens.

I don't have spinach at home, but i am assuming that you are trying to imply is that the granular pieces of MgSO4 helps to macerate the spinach easier? is that it?
I am just making a guess...not really sure what the other role is exactly.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 12:35:37 PM »
That's what you have to do, for these little "Why?" questions that come up in these sorts of lab discussions.  You have to come up with ideas like this, or read them in the write-up before the lab, or gradually build the knowledge base -- you'll be able to plan better experiments too, once you know things like this.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline lohjxMARCUS

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 06:47:45 PM »
That's what you have to do, for these little "Why?" questions that come up in these sorts of lab discussions.  You have to come up with ideas like this, or read them in the write-up before the lab, or gradually build the knowledge base -- you'll be able to plan better experiments too, once you know things like this.

Yeah, i just kinda started my physical chemistry lessons in structure determination, so i do actually try to read up before i ask questions. Anyway, thanks a lot!.  ;D

Sponsored Links