April 26, 2024, 09:23:29 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Using galvanostat as potentiostat  (Read 2479 times)

Offline ViolentValence

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Using galvanostat as potentiostat
« on: June 04, 2014, 11:56:52 AM »
Hello!
Is it possible to get by with just the anode/cathode configuration of a galvanostat for electropolymerization instead of the reference/working/counter electrode configuration of a potentiostat?

I've recently come into possession of an old EcoInstruments model 545 galvanostat, which is very convenient because I've wanted to begin making Ion Selective Electrodes for another project. The process involves using pencil lead (graphite) as the working surface to dope polypyrrole with nitrate (or other) ions and requires suppling constant currents running from 350-650 μA.

Is the reference electrode necessary in this case? And would I be using the pencil as the cathode or the anode? Thanks in advance!

Offline Catalysaurus Rex

• Very New Member
Re: Using galvanostat as potentiostat
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 01:39:10 PM »
If you want to run your experiment under galvanostatic conditions and don't care about the potential of the working electrode, then you can do away with the reference electrode and use a 2-electrode configuration.

I just checked this paper and it seems to me that you would need to use the pencil lead as the anode, because each pyrrole molecule undergoes oxidation during the polymerization reaction.

Offline ViolentValence

• Very New Member
Re: Using galvanostat as potentiostat
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 07:57:39 PM »
Ha, that's exactly the paper Im working from. Pencil lead as anode makes sense--thanks very much for the reply!

Sponsored Links