March 28, 2024, 07:36:31 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Please help me with Chemistry Project!  (Read 1749 times)

Offline intkid55

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Please help me with Chemistry Project!
« on: June 08, 2014, 08:11:35 PM »
I've been trying to think of an idea to create an experiment having to do with reaction rate due to pressure. CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME. I've been stuck in a corner for days and i wanna cry :'(

Any help would be MUCH MUCH appreciated

Offline Xenonman

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: Please help me with Chemistry Project!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 08:53:12 PM »
Considering volume as a reactant could help you, should you find a reaction that is affected by volume fluctuations, as in
::equil:: B + C
Which can be rewritten as:
A + volume ::equil:: B + C

Measuring the amount of A, B or C would be another problem.

Do you know of a reaction that fits the above reaction?
Honeste vivere, alterum non laedere, suum cuique tribuere.

Offline intkid55

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 08:59:19 PM »
I thought of putting baking soda and vinegar into a plastic bottle and attaching a balloon to it. This causes the balloon to increase in volume. Do you think that Would that work?

Offline Xenonman

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 09:14:30 PM »
That's not quite as reversible as I thought.
The balloon would increase in size, which would make the CO2 synthesis evident, but not quite serve as anything related to kinetics.

BUT! You can put soda in the cap, vinegar in the bottle, and close it as soon as possible. You'd feel the inner pressure increase. You could open it a bit, and the CO2 would escape. After that, inner pressure would decrease. There could be still CO2 trapped in the solution, or soda that didn't react because there was no space for the to-be-produced-CO2. Since you freed some, there is space for some more to react.

The aforementioned method works in my head. I don't know if a cap stores enough soda to maximize the pressure, and still enough to react once you let some escape. You could try a method that drops more vinegar than what fits in a cap.

Honeste vivere, alterum non laedere, suum cuique tribuere.

Sponsored Links