April 23, 2024, 07:23:47 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: About fertilizers  (Read 3686 times)

Offline aruna1989

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
About fertilizers
« on: June 15, 2014, 09:56:19 AM »
when a fertilizer is more acidic is there  any method to reduce its acidity?How about using lime ???

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: About fertilizers
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 03:45:34 PM »
When soil is too acid, either naturally or because of fertilizer, it makes sense to raise the pH with lime.  But if you start mixing it with fertilizer, you 'll likely get a precipitation of nutrients.  But you could also explain your question more thoroughly.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline aruna1989

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 02:50:45 PM »
When soil is too acid, either naturally or because of fertilizer, it makes sense to raise the pH with lime.  But if you start mixing it with fertilizer, you 'll likely get a precipitation of nutrients.  But you could also explain your question more thoroughly.
  Thank you for your reply. so when a fertilizer is more acidic is there is any method to increase pH instead of adding lime????

Offline Zyklonb

• Mole Snacks: +30/-10
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 05:53:21 PM »
Yeah, you could add literally any basic substance. Sodium bicarbonate (Baking soda) would be fine.

Offline TyPie

• Mole Snacks: +3/-2
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 05:07:10 AM »
You can use limestone as a buffer too.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 07:35:05 AM »
I had to ponder this one for a while before posting.

It seems to me that the original posting caused a confusion by not really discussing usage background. As was answered, if the intent of using the fertilizer was for agriculture then changing the pH would best be done after the application of the fertilizer to the soil.

@TyPie
Lime and Limestone - Is it not true that lime is produced from limestone? And, do people in the agriculture arena sometimes use the terms as generally meaning the same stuff?

@Zyklonb
Sodium bicarbonate (Baking soda) [or even Sodium carbonate (washing soda] would probably work, but not my first choice for replacement of lime in an agriculture situation. My thinking would be more along the lines of wood ashes.

Sponsored Links