April 26, 2024, 07:17:08 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemical Reactions with Iron  (Read 2644 times)

Offline Buck

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chemical Reactions with Iron
« on: June 15, 2014, 01:34:11 PM »
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post. Love the forum, super cool.

Ok, so here it is.

Basically what I am doing is trying to invent Different unique chemical finishes to turn the exterior of steel, brass, copper, aluminum, common materials different colors. I am most interested in reactions that will get steel to its black oxide state.

To Blacken Steel, I have the typical "Gun Bluing" Selenium dioxide method. This works ok.. not super impressed. Its almost gold sometimes.. I am also aware of the sodium nitrate and sodium hydroxide High temperature bath method. This works awesome,  However this is impractical for larger pieces.

I have done some experimenting with Tannic acid for this use, but have had limited results. Its from some article I found on the internet about steel darkening

Any Ideas or information regarding the matter would be much appreciated.

Cheers

-Buck

« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 01:44:12 PM by Buck »

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Chemical Reactions with Iron
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 03:42:33 PM »
We've had a couple of threads on the topic of gun barrel finishes.  Check put this guy's posts as an example: http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=151711
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Buck

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 04:16:35 PM »
Awesome, Ill check it out.

Sorry I posted in the wrong Category, I was trying to decide which one fit before

-Buck

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 10:53:33 PM »
The term Patina came to mind for me although I have only used it on bronze and silver
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patina#Applied_patina
The article above mentions
Knife collectors that own "carbon steel" blades sometimes force a patina onto the blade to help protect it and give it a more personalized look. This can be done using various chemicals and substances such as muriatic acid or apple cider vinegar. It can also be done by sticking the blade into any acidic vegetable or fruit such as a potato or apple.

I also did GOOGLE
Patina for iron
and got lots of hits

Sponsored Links