March 18, 2024, 11:56:15 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What titrations have you tried?  (Read 128536 times)

Offline firzzy87

• Mole Snacks: +2/-13
  • I'm a mole!
Re: What titrations have you tried?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2006, 06:53:34 AM »
so it is titration between strong acid and weak base , right

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2006, 07:14:08 AM »

Yes. Ka1 = 2.95, Ka2 = 5.41. Note only the second dissociation constant is of interest to you, as you start with half neutralized salt (hydrogen phthalate) so your titration curve should look like the part with bluish tint below (both concentrations assumed 0.1M).

BATE rulez ;)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Will

• Organic Dude
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-2
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2006, 07:26:56 AM »

Yes.

Are you being sarcastic? ;)

Offline elmyhalily13

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2006, 09:09:02 AM »
I have done titrations for H2S, Mercaptans and chloride. I use Silver Nitrate as titrant. The end point is determined using autotitration probe. For chlride the procedure is simple as the procedure can be done directly. But for Mercaptans and H2S, sample preparation need to be done. As the samples are gases they are flowed through sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide so that they can dissolve. Then only the testing is done.

Regards,

Elmy Halily
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 08:58:32 AM by Borek »

Offline zaied9

• Very New Member
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2006, 01:28:18 PM »
I have tried the following titrations:
          1) Neutralization titration of
            @Standardization of HCl using 0.1M Na2CO3 standard solution
            @Determination of the concentration of sodium hydroxide solution using a standard solution of hydrochloric acid
            @Analysis of vinegar

2) pH Metric titration of NaOH with a standard solution of HCl

3) Redox Titration
                i. standardization of KMnO4 solution by using a standard solution of
                    oxalic acid
               ii.Determination the concentrarion of FeSO4 solution by using a standard solution of KMnO4

I know this is so easy but I m a first year student at the faculty of science, but the
               difficult is getting nearer as im s biotechnology student. ;)
                                                                                                       Mamin Zaied

Offline dfx-

• Mole Snacks: +4/-4
  • I'm NOT a mole!
    • Red Chill
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2006, 06:39:43 PM »
I know this is so easy but I m a first year student at the faculty of science...

Is it just my degree course or is it common for chemistry degrees to basically stop doing titrations at all after first year? I can't remember most of the ones I've done as a result..

BSc(Hons) in Forensic and Environmental Analysis

Offline english

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-10
  • grad student
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2006, 08:01:42 AM »
I know this is so easy but I m a first year student at the faculty of science...

Is it just my degree course or is it common for chemistry degrees to basically stop doing titrations at all after first year? I can't remember most of the ones I've done as a result..

Pretty much.  Haha, kind of true. 

Offline AhmedEzatAlzawalaty

• Mole Snacks: +4/-31
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2007, 04:56:35 PM »
i have titrated
lead REDOX
Mn,Al,Ca,Mg,Zn,Cu, COMPLEXIMETRY
Acids,Water analysis

Offline AhmedEzatAlzawalaty

• Mole Snacks: +4/-31
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2007, 11:27:10 AM »
recently i did Argentometric Volhard , Fajan and Mohr methods and i also titrated KCl with HgCl2 u know  (the titrant is titrated with analyte)

Offline UnintentionalChaos

• Mole Snacks: +9/-2
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2007, 04:30:38 PM »
Total acid content of grape juice to be made into wine (expressed as grams of tartaric acid equivalent per 100ml). My uncle makes his own wine and has to rely on a wine school to do the testing of the grape juice for him, which is sometimes an inconvienance. The idea is that the acid content of grapes varies (varying mixes of mostly tartaric, some malic, and some citric acid, which makes an endpoint a pain in the ass to find) and there is an ideal acidity for each type of wine. After seeing that the wine shcool gives acid adjustments in 100ml of Tartaric acid portions (yes, I said ml...the lack of accuracy scares me), I was very much compelled to do the testing myself. So, NaOH solution at 0.05M and titrated 10ml samples a few times, screwing up the endpoint because the grape juice messes with the phenolphthalein. If you dilute the sample and use a hefty number of phenolphthalein drops, there is an definite endpoint although it is not too sharp (for these purposes, a few drops either way doesn't really mean much). So I have Molarity of the hydronium ion concentration and I need something they call total acid content. It took me a few hours to decipher that this meant "Pretend all the hydronium ions come from tartaric acid and convert to grams/100ml" I got 0.55 which is quite low for making any wine and justified the addition of tartaric acid (although I doubt that the prescribed addition was anything close to what it should have been). I've done several other, but this was the most interesting (and citizen chemistry)

Offline firzzy87

• Mole Snacks: +2/-13
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2007, 08:54:32 AM »
i've tried regularly the standardization of NaOH with KHP... Great .. It's not easy to get a very pale pink...  ;)

Offline UnintentionalChaos

• Mole Snacks: +9/-2
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2007, 10:45:45 PM »
Putting the beaker/flask on a sheet of white office paper helps me spot the endpoint.  ;)

Offline chrisbb

• Mole Snacks: +4/-2
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2008, 12:56:30 PM »
im an undergrad student and im in a 3 year program. I am still doing titrations, and i'm almost ready to snap. At least its not standardization of HCl & NaOH :D

Offline alhemicar

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2008, 02:41:48 PM »
I have done too much titrations  8)

acids : standardization NaOH, HCl,  Na2B4O7 and H3BO3 mixed, H2SO4, standardization HClO4,...

COMPLEXIMETRY: Ca, Ca and Mg mixed, Cu and Zn mixed, Mg and Pb and CU and Zn mixed, Cu and Pb mixed...

Oxido : Standardization KMnO4, Fe (with KMnO4) , standardization Na2S2O3, Cu, Fe (with K2Cr2O7), C2H8O6 standardization, Fe (with C2H8O6)

Mohr: Cl

Offline yy

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2009, 08:00:44 AM »
Recent one is:
Determining salt content in dried soup powder by Potentiometric Titration.

Titrant AgNO3 (0.1M)
Standard Solution NaCl (0.1M)
Sample: 10 g dried soup powder.
AgCl electrode.

[Salt/NaCl]in sample: 0.1521M
grams of NaCl in 10gSample: 1.065g

Manufacturer's spec. (Sodium/Na) Per serving, 285mg/100mL.

...and I am in the middle of figuring out how to compare the result with the spec. :P  One thing to watch out is though, Manufacturer spec only gives sodium content, than NaCl. A trick often played by corporations!

Sponsored Links