March 28, 2024, 07:21:36 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Removing Bubbles from Fluid  (Read 3799 times)

Offline fsali

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Removing Bubbles from Fluid
« on: June 26, 2014, 03:44:48 AM »
Hi
I work in company which produces cleaning products.
While mixing product in mixer, some air bubbles enters the product. This causes some viscosity and filling problems. Do you have any idea to remove these bubbles from liquids?
Btw product is liquid.
I have seen air seperator which are used in heating cooling systems. But the problem is that they are used for water.
In the internet, i have found defoaming pump but i dont have any experience on it.
Thank you for help.
Sincerely.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: Removing Bubbles from Fluid
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 07:58:13 AM »
One option is to just allow enough settling / calming time. Add an intermediate storage tank?

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +162/-47
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 11:08:28 AM »
Or immerse an Ultrasonic device.

Offline fsali

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 01:19:52 AM »
My aim is to decrease batch time so giving settling time is not an option.
I have seen some ultrasonic device videos but couldnt find reliable supplier in my country. Can you suggest any brand?

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 05:25:40 PM »
If the other components of your liquid are not too volatile, an option is to reduce the pressure. Bubbles grow then and raise quickly to the surface where they explode. It works nicely with silicone glues, rubbers and oils.

Hydraulic fluids have additives to help remove bubbles and foam more quickly. I've forgotten how these operate.

I'd try to bring all the liquid volume close to a free surface. This objective is very similar to a two-phase reactor, but you'd like a quiet process to avoid more bubbles. Slowly rotating disks might be an option, similar ot the sketch there (the text is a not related topic)
http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=56452.0

Or maybe... Ca you mix a thin fluid (a solvent?) with your liquid so the bubbles get quickly out, then separate your product from the thinner?

Centrifuge your product, so bubbles buoy more quicky? I'd keep a small liquid thickness.

Process your product so that bubbles don't get in? Operate under vacuum if any possible, or only in vessels completely filled with liquids, or under a cap of a lighter unmiscible liquid?

-----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deaerator
probably not what you want: only prior to boiling there.

Offline EastPA

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 12:31:14 AM »
Hi
I work in company which produces cleaning products.
While mixing product in mixer, some air bubbles enters the product. This causes some viscosity and filling problems. Do you have any idea to remove these bubbles from liquids?
Btw product is liquid.
I have seen air seperator which are used in heating cooling systems. But the problem is that they are used for water.
In the internet, i have found defoaming pump but i dont have any experience on it.
Thank you for help.
Sincerely.

Observe the process and determine when the air is getting mixed into the liquid.  If the agitator is on during the tank filling, you will have a point in the process when the agitator blades contact the liquid surface.  At that point, air will be entrained into the mixture.   Allow the level to rise above the agitator blades before turning on the mixer and be sure a vortex is not being formed down to the blade when the agitator is turned on.  Baffles in the tank eliminate the vortex, redcuing speed of agitator will also help.

hope this helps

Sponsored Links