April 18, 2024, 08:37:56 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Calcium metal in magnesium chloride (aq) - could water be a competing reactant?  (Read 2682 times)

Offline ajax0604

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
A multiple choice question states that calcium metal is placed in a solution of magnesium chloride. One of the answer choices says that magnesium ions will be reduced and calcium will be oxidised which I thought was the right answer but there is another choice which says that water will be reduced producing hydrogen gas and calcium will be oxidised. This also seems likely, possibly more likely than the first choice because water is a better oxidant compared to magnesium ion on the electrochemical series. Could both reactions occur simultaneously? Thank you.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
What would happen to metallic magnesium?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline ajax0604

Magnesium metal won't react with calcium ions but it could react slowly with water to produce hydrogen gas and insoluble magnesium hydroxide?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
Haven't you just answered your own question?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline ajax0604

Then this multiple choice question has more than one possible answer

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
No. Magnesium metal doesn't exist in the solution - so it won't be created. Calcium will react with water, yielding the most stable product directly.

Offline ajax0604

I see. So when calcium reacts with water to produce hydrogen gas and hydroxide ions, the hydroxide ions will react with the magnesium ions to form magnesium hydroxide.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
Whether Mg(OH)2 will precipitate depends on the concentrations, but that's more or less correct way of thinking.

Sponsored Links