April 24, 2024, 12:11:16 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Electro-winning of gold?  (Read 2613 times)

Offline NY-Ben

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Electro-winning of gold?
« on: July 18, 2014, 07:56:00 AM »
Iv'e searched everywhere online but there is literally no information on the topic, so if you can help. Thanks What electrodes are used in electro-winning of gold? What electrolyte can be used for electro-winning gold? Oxidation and reduction half equations for the cathode and anode during the process? And finally i'm still kinda confused of the whole premise of electrowinning, I think I understand the basics but iv'e seen some weird diagrams that cause confusion?
for any help you can give, thank you very much

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re: Electro-winning of gold?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 04:17:10 PM »
So if you start with gold ore, you would need to get it to a temperature where it melts. If this is just for fun, you could probably just use graphite for electrodes.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline NY-Ben

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Electro-winning of gold?
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 01:09:12 AM »
Its for a project and on the task sheet it says to name the electrode and electrolyte used for electro-winning gold but the thing is isn't there many options to that answer. I think his asking for the most common one. After hours of research iv'e come across barely anything besides that steel wool can be used as an electrode (still don't know if its right or the most common) and that the electrolyte is cyanide like AuCN + e (electron) = Au + CN, this equation also confuses me a bit because isn't the only reason we have electrolyis in this is to create a cathode which attracts the anion being the metal.

any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links