April 26, 2024, 03:57:05 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Determination of aspirin by spectrophotometric method  (Read 6677 times)

Offline Bidagdha_TADIR

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
Determination of aspirin by spectrophotometric method
« on: July 18, 2014, 01:39:35 PM »
Few days ago I performed an experiment (in the lab as part of my syllabus) to estimate the amount of aspirin in a commercial tablet using UV-Visible spectrophotometer.
According to the method, I first hydrolyzed sample containing aspirin into salicylic acid using NaOH solution. I also applied same procedure on aspirin standard solutions. Then I measured absorbances of the sample and the standard solutions.
Question is, why even use NaOH? Couldn't I just make a sample solution of aspirin in ethanol and some standard solutions of aspirin in ethanol and then take absorbances? It's not like using NaOH produced any color, so is there any chemical basis to using NaOH?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Determination of aspirin by spectrophotometric method
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 02:23:48 PM »
You answered your own question: NaOH is necessary to hydrolyze acetylsalicylic acid to salicylic acid. The bigger question is why it's better to measure the UV absorption of salicylic acid than acetylsalicylic acid. What do you think?

You can find a clue near in the first figure on this page: http://www.odinity.com/synthesis-characterization-aspirin/
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Bidagdha_TADIR

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 07:02:43 PM »
I didn't find anything near figure 1 that stuck to my eyes. But figure 7 caught my attention. It seems that salicylic acid gives a much sharper peak than aspirin (of course this opens up a lot more questions like why would aspirin have less sharp, less intense and less wavelength peak even though it has an additional double bond).

Have I spotted the answer, or am I lost?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 08:21:38 PM »
Yes, I was alluding to Figure 7, and you can see that Salicylic acid's peak is much more intense and also not as deep into the UV. So, it's a better peak to use for analysis.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Furanone

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +34/-2
  • Actually more a Food Chemist
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 08:24:30 PM »
Is it because there is better stabilized resonance of the conjugate dienes with salicylic acid (where the hydroxyl group can deprotonate to =O) than with acetylsalicylic acid where the added acetyl group will interfere with the resonance at the central Oxygen at ester linkage?
"The true worth of an experimenter consists in pursuing not only what he seeks in his experiment, but also what he did not seek."

--Sir William Bragg (1862 - 1942)

Offline Bidagdha_TADIR

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 02:30:36 PM »
Last year I synthesized aspirin in the laboratory but when I took UV spectrum there was basically no difference between the spectral data of aspirin and salicylic acid (the raw material), so everybody concluded that I didn't make aspirin.

I am not sure why salicylic acid gives better peak, I just remembered that according to Woodward-Fieser rule hydroxyl group is an auxochrome but ester group is not (at least that's what I remember). That could explain why aspirin spectrum is not so intense.

anyway, I got an explanation for why I am hydrolyzing aspirin into salicylic acid and that's good enough for now.

Sponsored Links