April 26, 2024, 10:25:44 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Free radical bromination at benzylic positon  (Read 2524 times)

Offline davidenarb

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Free radical bromination at benzylic positon
« on: July 20, 2014, 04:33:25 AM »
Hi !

A free radical bromination can take place ONLY (why is that?) at the benzylic position producing a benzylic halide in the presence of NBS and heat.

In the figure bellow, we have the resonance structures of a benzylic system.

When an methylbenzene react with NBS and heat, why do we have ONLY one product, which is the product at the benzylic position, and the remaining 3 other products are not produced since we have 4 resonance structures?

Is it because of this reason? : "if the other allylic products are produced  the aromaticity of the benzene will be destroyed"

I have a second question: the bromination won't occur if the benzylic position lacks proton, right?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 06:02:44 AM by davidenarb »

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: Free radical bromination at benzylic positon
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 06:01:50 AM »
The benzylic radical and the benzylic cation also are quite stable, and with the correct substituents they can be isolated.
The resonance contribution, as you have shown, from the other radicals is small as you correctly say addition there will initially destroy the aromatic system. If you do this reaction on a large enough scale (kg) you can sometimes see the ring brominated products in very small quantities (<0.5%).
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline davidenarb

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 06:05:00 AM »
The benzylic radical and the benzylic cation also are quite stable, and with the correct substituents they can be isolated.
The resonance contribution, as you have shown, from the other radicals is small as you correctly say addition there will initially destroy the aromatic system. If you do this reaction on a large enough scale (kg) you can sometimes see the ring brominated products in very small quantities (<0.5%).

Thank you for your confirmation!!!

Just to ask another quick question: the bromination won't occur if the benzylic position doesn't have any proton, correct?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 06:52:20 AM »
You need something that can form a radical. If it's like t-Butylbenzene then you won't get benzylic bromination.
But you may form other radicals which can re-arrange to give a multitude of products.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline davidenarb

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 08:18:34 AM »
You need something that can form a radical. If it's like t-Butylbenzene then you won't get benzylic bromination.
But you may form other radicals which can re-arrange to give a multitude of products.

Thank you very much :)

Sponsored Links